W. Hartmann of Berlin

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

adamjuk

W. Hartmann of Berlin

Post by adamjuk »

I can't find anything about W. Hartmann, Berlin apart from the fact that this piano was made after 1927 (based on the serial number).
Can anybody tell me if W. Hartmann was a good piano maker please.
Bill Kibby

Hartmann

Post by Bill Kibby »

I'm sorry that several of my postings seem to have disappeared, hence the delay in answering. It was probably my old PC. Hartmann was established in 1839, but very little is know or published about them, and I don't think I've ever seen one, so I can't comment on quality. If you know how to remove the action (the working parts of the notes) safely, there may be the action maker's name and number on the rear of it, and we may be able to date this.

A 1928 German ad says W. Hartmann, 5, Hasenheide.S.59. Berlin, piano & flugelfabrik: Hasenheide 5/6 Berlin S.59.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
idefix73

Re: W. Hartmann of Berlin

Post by idefix73 »

I own a really old W. Hartmann Berlin piano, manufactured in the 1920's, whose only use is taking up space in my living room, so I intend to sale it.
Could anyone estimate its value?
Thank you in advance!
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

Nobody can tell you the value of a piano without inspecting it and tuning it.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
idefix73

Post by idefix73 »

Well, it's in a pretty bad shape and tuning cannot improve it. Generally, I've been told that its state is irreversible and the only solution would be to replace the entire mechanism inside the piano, something that I'm not willing to do.The outside appearance is as good as it could be for a 100 year old piano.
Given that what would be the value?
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

When an old piano reaches the point where it is not holding in tune, it will cost over a thousand pounds to put right, quite apart from the problems with the action ("mechanism") so the value will be in minus figures. If it has sconces (projecting candle-holders) or a stool, either of these items is likely to fetch more on Ebay than the piano.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
idefix73

Post by idefix73 »

Thanks, that was really helpful!