Jarrett & Goudge upright piano

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

Bill Kibby

Jarrett & Goudge, London

Post by Bill Kibby »

Harper & Co. do not seem to have appeared in Newmarket until the early 1900s. The published numbers for Jarret & Goudge are wrong, and this is too short to be a serial number anyway, so it's difficult to know the age without seeing it. No-one anywhere will give you a valuation without on-the-spot inspection. See
http://www.uk-piano.org/piano-gen/piano ... mbers.html
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
noramorsy

Post by noramorsy »

Hi I was wondering if you can give me some advice on how to sell my piano. It is a Jarret and Goudge, London piano, good condition. Can u recommend anyone to come and value it? I was a bit disheartened when i visited my local piano shop who didn't recognise the name and said 'it was an unknown make', can you advise differently?

Much appreciated.
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

If your piano shop was in this country, they must be very young if they don't know of one of the best-known old London names, but I can't advise you about selling it. Nobody can tell you anything about the piano just from the name, and nobody can guess the value or condition without tuning it.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Jarrett & Goudge upright piano

Post by MarkGoodwinPianos »

I am very willing to put a rough valuation on your piano but only if you can upload a handful of photos showing the inside and outside if your piano. Get nice and close, use the flash and try to stay in focus

It will then be very easy to give a rough valuation
Thanks
Mark
Yamaha Pianos for sale (usually 50+ in stock)
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)
vernon

Post by vernon »

my venerable opinion is that it will be totally impossible unless you include so many ifs and buts that make the whole exercise valuless---so to speak.
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

Absolutely. This forum cannot accept the legal responsible for valuations, so if Mark wants to do it, he should do it elsewhere.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

It is very easy to give a rough valuation based on photos. It's only my opinion, that's what forums are about, opinions.
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

It is interesting to note that the Antiques Roadshow could never give valuations by just photos alone, or just by the 'spoken word' .... I am surprised so many new members are trying to gain from this and why ask in the first place?

An expert on the roadshow also said once that even if an item was sent though the post.... and they physically had it in their hands, they could not receive any feedback from the owner, price paid, how long they had it, how many times passed down through generations.... and a general backgtound history...... THEN, when the owner is present, an expert can start to make some sort of valuation. Even valuations at this stage are guess work, and often they are several hundreds out.... so why do members just ask for a value and not provide any information?

I wouldn't commit yourself Mark.... its not worth it, and you are too kind in offering this info. If the member wants a valuation done, they should pay someone to visit them.... or stand in an ever-winding queue at the roadshow!!
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Cheers Colin.
It's very easy to say:

Straight strung overdamper. £50 tops
Tatty Kemble minx £100 ish
Old Bechstein upright 85 notes oblique £200 ish
Bechstein v with a crack £500 - £1200

Those are trade or auction valuations in my opinion.

If I can stop someone spending £400 on a straight strung overdamper then I'm very happy to do that. It could save an enthusiastic young pianist from suffering 10 years on a heap of junk.

I can't resist
I don't think I should stop
I'll carry on
I believe it's helpful
I enjoy it

:)
vernon

Post by vernon »

say you get your tatty kemble minx home and the plank's gone.
That's £100 down the drain.
Obviously,when someone wants to sell a piano and describes it on the phone,one has to decide whether it's even worth a visit.
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk