John Spencer piano from Murdoch & Murdoch

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Have you looked at the first sticky on this forum?

There's no telling some people!

Assuming it's in working order I'll guess that it's worth somewhere between Diddley Squat and 1000 USD.

If the lower serial number is correct it dates from 1897, if the higher is correct, it's 1915. What does it look like? Does it have candle-holders, is it ornate, is it walnut? rosewood? Black? Chartreuse matt varnish with gold tooling and pictures of little cherubim flying around a celestial backdrop? Upright? Grand? Spinet? Giraffe?

You're not giving anybody much to go on are you?!

PGxx
Bill Kibby

Spencer

Post by Bill Kibby »

Although "PianoGuy" is technically right, it's a bit harsh, most people don't know the technicalities of pianos, and many are struggling to use a computer at all, so they simply don't see everything that's on screen. Putting up a notice doesn't guarantee that anyone will read it, and there's no point nagging!

When you open the top of the piano, which number is most obvious?

27,000 suggests about 1896.
63,000 suggests 1915.

The action (the working parts of the notes) may have a paper label on the rear, and the details would help, but don't take the action out if you are unsure about doing it safely.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Spencer

Post by PianoGuy »

Bill Kibby wrote:Although "PianoGuy" is technically right, it's a bit harsh.
Yeah! Sorry about that! Harshness is not really in my nature, but I can't resist it in these forums!

Give us a bit more of an idea of its appearance, and we'll be able to get you a better idea!