Little Jewel Piano Co. N.Y.

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

Bill Kibby

Little Jewel

Post by Bill Kibby »

I'vce been researching british pianos since 1963, but we hardly ever see american ones over here. All I can say is that the number suggests 1919.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
BRODI

Re: Little Jewel Piano Co. N.Y.

Post by BRODI »

Greetings Jerry:

We also have a ``Little Jewel Piano``....77-keys..... Made in New York, U.S.A. in the 1920`s. Our serial number indicates 1922, and apparently attributed to a spin-off adventure of the Speilman Company, New York, U.S.A. At that time Mr. H.S. Pulling, Co. Pres. also opened and operated `THE LITTLE JEWEL PIANO COMPANY, 546-Southern Blvd., (East 133d St), New York, U.S.A.

Apparently Mr. Pulling was so impressed with the market demand for `miniature pianos`, that he started producing 5, 5 1/2 and 6 Octave Pianos, most in the range of not more than four feet high, four feet wide, and two feet deep. The primary Market was for `Yachts, Cottages, and Private Recital Rooms. Though smaller, they were as expensive as a full-size piano of similar materials (ie: ours is oak), and they ended up as far and wide as Australia, Hawaii, then over to Northern Scotland, England, France, Spain, Germany and Austria. There was apparently, a concensus that, due to their compact size/weight, the `Little Jewel` had the best available sound projection (volume) and tonal qualities. It is said that one of these little jems now rests at the bottom of the ocean with other orchestal instruments in the infamous Titanic.

We had an appraiser look at ours and, though he stated he was no expert of àntique pianos`, he suggested we insure for not less that $3,500.00, and recommended $5,000.00 as his preference for liability replacement value.

The beauty of these little jewels, is the sound! My Lady loves to play and has a very expensive grand piano in our big room; but she often says she prefers to slip away and enjoy the Little Jewel in my Shop area.

I`m not sure if this will complicate or confirm your intuitions; we are very content and have no desire to part with ours (probably become a matter for the Childred when we pass away).

Regards....

Brodi
(Alberta, Canada.)
Cellomandan

Re: Little Jewel Piano Co. N.Y.

Post by Cellomandan »

I have a little jewel piano I’m guessing is from the 1920s it has a number stamped 4234. I’m not sure if that’s the serial number I would like to try to restore it. Right now I’m overwhelmed with the idea but it belonged to my mother I played it as a kid so it has much sentimental value