Scotcher upright

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

jamsheedmaster

Scotcher upright

Post by jamsheedmaster »

I just took delivery of a free Scotcher piano with the number 14422 stamped on it in various places. It all works fine is in stunning shape for a free-to-collector job. However, there's a lip on the front just below the keyboard with hinges on the front which woulod suggest it opens down but it won't budge. I also think it "was" a pianola as there are cupboard doors in the centre of the upper and lower front panels, but no sign of any pianola action. How can I fiond out anymore about it? Like it's age etc?

Thanks

Jamm
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Pierce list a Scotcher and Son Birmingham but no date or numbers. It sounds like you have an ex pianola - the key rail has the controls in it However, they are often glued shut when the piano is de-pianolaed. Pianolas tend to be quite powerful pianos for there size, they tend not to sell well because of there deep size quite a few end up in Churches or village halls.

Bill may have something on them

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Bill Kibby

Scotcher

Post by Bill Kibby »

Lovely word - "depianolaed"!! There have been several Scotcher firms, but the Birmingham one claimed to have been established in 1786, and were certainly doing business in the first quarter of the 1900s. I'll see what I can find.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
jamsheedmaster

scotcher

Post by jamsheedmaster »

Wow! That was quick. Thanks to both of you.

It is indeed a Scotcher and Sons of Birmingham upon closer inspection. However, I still need help with the date and also the hinges on the front. I've seen a few pianolas in my time, even fixed one once, and I've never seen these hinges along the front. They're right under the keyboard, below where the lower of your wrists are when playing.

Any clues??

Thanks
Jamm

help! help! I'm being depianolaed!!
jamsheedmaster

scother cont...

Post by jamsheedmaster »

also, what I meant to ask in the first place, if the controls for the ola were in this key rail, is it worth openning it up to see, or would they all be removed??

Also, are there any cardinal rules I should know about before stripping and repainting the old thing??
Bill Kibby

Scotcher

Post by Bill Kibby »

The main "rule" is please PLEASE try to avoid removing any names, numbers or marks that are relevant to the origin or history of the piano. If necessary, write them inside, where they can be found. Unfortunately, there are no rules (cardinal or otherwise) about how a player piano (such as a Pianola) should be turned into any ex-player. If you could email photos, I may be able to tell you more about these mysterious hinges.
archives@pianogen.fsnet.co.uk
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
jamsheedmaster

scotcher

Post by jamsheedmaster »

Hi,

Thanks for that, will take some photos and send them. I will of course leave the name plates and serial numbers etc intact, I love the history of the old girl almost as much as playing her. She's the newest member of my odd but fun household!

Jamm
Bill Kibby

Scotcher

Post by Bill Kibby »

Yes, and I can confirm that pianos are female: Songs are usually published in keys to suit the male voice, and I always reckon that doesn't suit playing them on piano, they sound much better about half an octave out!
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.