Wilh Steinmann upright

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

Manny78

Wilh Steinmann upright

Post by Manny78 »

I've recently bought a 2nd hand Steinman small upright, serial number 405823 (stamped on the hammers). The previous owner said it was purchased in a piano store in Paris, approximately 20 years old, made in Germany. I'm trying to find out more details online but not getting anywhere. Any suggestions or information would be greatly welcomed.
Attachments
IMG_20220313_093005.jpg
IMG_20220312_154638.jpg
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Wilh Steinmann upright

Post by chrisw »

My UK Google search using Wilh Steinmann did identify a number of stores that had sold these pianos. One suggested they were made at the Zimmermann factory in Leipzig. However are you sure it was made in Germany ?

I would be very surprised if the piano serial number was stamped on the hammers. Have you looked all around the frame including behind the lower front cover? Failing the frame on the soundboard.
Dieter
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Dieter »

Steinmann, Wilhelm is one of the top quality brands in the lower price range. The two models Canatate, an extremely popular model in terms of shape (mahogany) and the Ballade model (light oak) will be on display. The production program also includes a small grand piano, a Chippendale piano, model Adagio and an upright piano in a classic case, model Favorit.

Steinmann, Wilhelm is one of the top quality brands in the lower price range. The two models Canatate, an extremely popular model in terms of shape (mahogany) and the Ballade model (light oak) will be on display. The production program also includes a small grand piano, a Chippendale piano, model Adagio and an upright piano in a classic case, model Favorit.

The instruments were sold by DEMUSA (the GDR's state-owned foreign trade company) until 1990. Later, Steinmann instruments came from China.

www.dieter-gocht.de
Last edited by Dieter on 16 Mar 2022, 20:31, edited 1 time in total.
Manny78

Post by Manny78 »

This is where the numbers are inside. Yes I think this could be manufactured in Germany as I have found a plate with GDR
Attachments
IMG_20220315_191628.jpg
Manny78

Post by Manny78 »

So could this mean the piano is pre 90s?
Attachments
IMG_20220315_191809.jpg
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Wilh Steinmann Est c1965
The last entry in the Atlas was for 1976 sn 41500
Pianos were made by VEB Mobelkombinat Eisenbergi
Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

chrisw wrote: 14 Mar 2022, 12:10 My UK Google search using Wilh Steinmann did identify a number of stores that had sold these pianos. One suggested they were made at the Zimmermann factory in Leipzig. However are you sure it was made in Germany ?

While the logo shape on the Steinmann does look like Zimmerman stile. From 1995 Zimmermans were designed and manufactured by Bechstein pianos

Also, very common for that make for the keys to come off. use really shitty glue. A good contact adhesive will stick them back on.

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Dieter
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Dieter »

Wilh Steinmann Est c1965
Der letzte Eintrag im Atlas war für 1976 sn 41500
Klaviere wurden vom VEB Mobelkombinat Eisenbergi
Barrie hergestellt

VEB Möbelkombinat Eisenberg stellte Wilhelm Steinberg her.
Manny78

Post by Manny78 »

So this sounds like it could be pre 95? I'm not so interested in value, I know it was lower end and is serving as a family piece for now.

Thanks for the glue tip. I also have a repair to do on the front panel across the keyboard, weakened by the lifting and move to my house. The covering has lifted away in parts and I have a piece that came completely off, LH side on photo. I'm not 100% how to proceed. It doesn't have to be perfect but it's a smart looking piano so I'd like to keep it that way.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

with the veneer contact adhesive. But in this case, leave it a little bit wet so you can slide it in place then add pressure using masking tape.

You won't make a perfect join you may have to get somebody who can do polyester repairs to fix the cracks.

As to its age, it could be 1989 using the Zimmerman numbers
Attachments
IMG_0769 2.JPG
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Manny78

Post by Manny78 »

By no means perfect but all stuck back together again. Thanks for the help and information.
Regards
Amanda
Attachments
IMG_20220321_154638.jpg
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Looks a lot better now get it tuned and enjoy the piano.

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page