Wilson & Son, Edinburgh Piano, possibly 1901, very poor condition, 17 clear photos inside and out, 2 hidden papers

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

Denver

Wilson & Son, Edinburgh Piano, possibly 1901, very poor condition, 17 clear photos inside and out, 2 hidden papers

Post by Denver »

The piano is currently in the United Kingdom

Piano is seemingly very old, and in very poor condition. Pieces can be played recognisably on it, but the sound quality is poor. I'm not sure if the keys/string/hammers also have problems because the keys feel a bit heavy or stiff, although I know nothing about pianos.

I believe that it is listed here:

https://www.lieveverbeeck.eu/Pianoforte ... land_p.htm

as "Image of a pianoforte in an advertisement, County directory of Scotland for 1901, p. 899 (digital.nls.uk)"

There are 2 hidden notes on the underside, wedged between the base under the keys and the centre beam. One is yellow and more modern, and the other is old paper or perhaps parchment. The yellow one is so old that upon touching it the corner "disintegrated" off, so I didn't risk touching either one further.

I think that the notes might be repair notices or something similar, left for the next person to repair it, although this is pure speculation.

I could not find any numbers, marks, copyrights, company names, or dates, outside of what is shown in the photos.

I don't expect to be worth much money, and it will probably be given away soon if no information can be found on it, but perhaps someone would want it for the historical value.

My question is, is there any historical information that can be divulged?
Denver

Re: Wilson & Son, Edinburgh Piano, possibly 1901, very poor condition, 17 clear photos inside and out, 2 hidden papers

Post by Denver »

I forgot to link the pictures...

picture album:

https://imgur.com/a/5UCuPzx
Dieter
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: Wilson & Son, Edinburgh Piano, possibly 1901, very poor condition, 17 clear photos inside and out, 2 hidden papers

Post by Dieter »

Edinburgh:
Wilson & Son, 18 Nicolson st. Musikal.- Piano-, Orgel- und Musikinstr.-Handlung. Gegr. 1864.
Wilson & Son. ein bekanntes Pianohaus, keine Pianofabrik.

Edinburgh:
Wilson & Son, 18 Nicholson st. Musical, piano, organ and musical instrument plot. Founded in 1864. Wilson & Son. A well-known piano house, not a piano factory.