Bentley Piano

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

LouT

Bentley Piano

Post by LouT »

Hello, what an amazing site this is! My daughter loves her piano and is the only pianist on our household. She has been giving it a little wipe down and has shined up the brass beautifully... First time in six years.. We didn't even realise there was brass on it. Apologies for our ignorance.
Having read up about Bentley on your site, my question is what type is it? It looks similar to ones you have listed but not an exact match. Is your list exhaustive? We know it is a Bentley and I think we've found the serial number on the inside, printed onto a Harrods logo. As it reads H 67535 I wonder if that is actually a Harrods stock number rather than the serial number. It is also a faded yellow colour which is a little unusual.
If anyone can tell me anything about the model I'd be very grateful. It was passed on to us by a friend who was also gifted it.
Thank you in advance.
PS I've tried to attach a photo but I'm not sure it has worked!
Bill Kibby

Re: Bentley Piano

Post by Bill Kibby »

I cannot personally help you about the listings on this site, I am only involved with the forum. This is, as you thought, not a Bentley serial number, but a Harrods stock number, probably 1976.
If you want to search inside the piano for clues, have a look at
http://www.pianohistory.info/datemarks.html
This may help you find a serial number and/or a model name.
The serial may be around...
1975-135500
1976-138500
1977-140750
1978-143000
and may be easily visible by opening the top, like this one...
1979Bentley#145859#.jpg
1979Bentley#145859#.jpg (48.88 KiB) Viewed 2486 times
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by chrisw »

Harrods normally keep details of the pianos that they sold in the past and if you write to them with their stock number they can tell you more. Given the suggested date and the yellowish appearance I would imagine that the piano was finished with a teak veneer.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

If you mean the Bentley history page on our site? It has images of the pianos that were in production when they ceased trading.

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page