Squeaky keys

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

maxim_tuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Squeaky keys

Post by maxim_tuner »

One American from Idaho, USA wrote the following post on the Piano Technician Forum. He found mine video, where I explained that on the piano very often, if it is standing in an unheated room, it can begin to emit squeaks from under the keys. This is due to the fact that the cloth bush of shrinks and it's rubs against the metal pin on which it is set and, as a result, a creak occurs, which distracts the pianist, and even makes the performance unpleasant for the listener. In this video, I showed that I can radically, one might say barbarously method, put a screwdriver into the hole of the key's window, lightly loosening the cloth bush use a sting of screwdriver, which leads to an immediate elimination of it's problem.

I was not at all embarrassed that American Google is looking for this video in a similar section. Art should bring peoples closer together, I think. Maximillian shot a video for Russian speakers, the Chinese piano creaked, the American searched and found it's, and most importantly eliminated it's of yourself.

GLORY ALL PEOPLE who invented the INTERNET!
"I revive this thread because it appears at the "quick answer" section of some google searches on squeaky piano keys, along with the interesting video, which might be termed: T-34 mechanic meets piano.

Nevertheless the video was very helpful to me, as it showed my extactly the source of the squeaks on a few keys in my U-121 Young Chang Piano. s noted by various members, the simple fix is to get a pencil and scrape some graphite on to a small plate. Then using any tiny spoon like object, get some graphite into the hole in the key which takes the post from the frame.

Graphite is not the prefered material for pros, only because it will leave some coloring, but it is harmless and works extremely well. This issue was driving me crazy and I was mislead as to it's source by many more professional videos and forum posts.

So if you have a squeaky key this is the first place to look, as the fix is so easy. It's now almost 3 weeks ago, and not a sign of squeak on any of the keys."
https://youtu.be/r2oWVlbcM70
Bill Kibby

Re: T-34 mechanic meets piano

Post by Bill Kibby »

As I am dealing with a room full of squeaky keys, I disagree. The bushing cloth is not the cause, it's the tarnishing of the metal pins, which happens more often when the atmosphere is cool, especially if it is heated occasionally, causing condensation.
The solution is simple. Remove all the keys, then clean and lubricate the pins with WD40, then replace the keys and work them repeatedly to polish the pins.
Forcing something into the hole to make it bigger can cause the key to jam permanently.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info