Metzler London Piano

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

DAVID1965

Metzler London Piano

Post by DAVID1965 »

Hello my name is David and I am from Sri Lanka. I own a Metzler under damper model upright piano. This piano belonged to my great grandma, grandma, my mother and now to me. It is a family heirloom and will pass down the line.
The piano had original ivory keys which were worn out (middle C especially) and they were replaced about 15 years ago. It has been well maintained over the years and is in a very good condition today.
I am trying to ascertain the approximate age of this piano. The piano tuner estimated it to be around 125 years in 2020. I have checked the inner parts of the piano for a year of manufacture but there is none. On the top left side once you open the top lid there are 5 digits enbedded into the wood. They are 29233. What does this number signify please?
Many thanks
David
Attachments
Metzler Piano 1.jpeg
Metzler Piano 1.jpeg
Bill Kibby

Re: Metzler London Piano

Post by Bill Kibby »

Based on the photo, I would say it is much later than 1895, it is typical of the 1920s. #22,600 Metzler & Co. Ltd. London upright piano is dated 1903 on the side of the bottom key, so on that basis, yours might be nearer 1905 but I doubt it.
Pianos of this style are unknown until around the end of the 1914-18 war.
Unfortunately, Metzlers' numbers are not consistent, and no reliable dates are published. I believe they were made for them by other firms.
Is the action made by Herrburger Brooks? This would mean it was made after 1919.
Last edited by Bill Kibby on 30 Jan 2021, 14:32, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: duplicated
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Bill Kibby

Re: Metzler London Piano

Post by Bill Kibby »

Based on the photo, I would say it is much later than 1895, it is typical of the 1920s. #22,600 Metzler & Co. Ltd. London upright piano is dated 1903 on the side of the bottom key, so on that basis, yours might be nearer 1905 but I doubt it.
Pianos of this style are unknown until around the end of the 1914-18 war.
Unfortunately, Metzlers' numbers are not consistent, and no reliable dates are published. I believe they were made for them by other firms.
Is the action made by Herrburger Brooks? This would mean it was made after 1919.
Attachments
1903MetzlerLondonu.jpg
Last edited by Bill Kibby on 30 Jan 2021, 14:35, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: duplicated
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info