History of my granda's piano?

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

framohan

History of my granda's piano?

Post by framohan »

Hi.
I'm trying to find a bit of the history of my grandfathers piano. Crane & sons Ltd belfast and Liverpool. The two numbers are c&s143712 on the case and 56870 in the inside.
He brought it to Belfast after the war. He had been in London (but I'm not sure if piano was in London or not) He had told my mum and aunt that he got it from his cousin who was a jazz pianist. Not sure if anyone else owned it previously, or really where it originated.
I would like to find out especially for my aunt who took care of it since she was a little girl.
I'm guessing it was 1920s, the tuner says anywhere from early 1900s to mid 1920s. It would be great if we could find out the maker and anything else.
Thanks for reading.
Regards Francis
Bill Kibby

Re: History of my granda's piano?

Post by Bill Kibby »

The number beginning with C&S is Cranes' stock number. I can tell you that it is after 1927, and before 1933, so my best guess is 1930. I have lots of Crane pianos on file, they rarely have a definite date, and like many other firms, they bought them in from anonymous wholesalers, including Kemble. A Kemble should have a number preceded by K around keyboard level at the bass end, near keyboard level on the soundboard. We can date that number if you find one.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info