Spencer piano

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

adrianhoar

Spencer piano

Post by adrianhoar »

Hello to all at piano page.
Maybe you could help me as regards info about our piano. I know nothing about pianos. To me it looks like the pedals are not original. Also, can you tell from the pictures what the veneer is? It doesn't seem to be suffering any kind of damp. Although it hasn't been tuned for decades it hasn't been played for 40 years either. The last person who played it described it as 'not bad' - he would know what he was talking about and would've been honest. From reading your advice to other posts I assume the serial number gives an idea (roughly) of the date and the number here is 69043 which would suggest around 1913.
Any advice or info will be much appreciated.
Attachments
piano4.jpg
piano3.jpg
piano2.jpg
piano1.jpg
Bill Kibby

Re: Spencer piano

Post by Bill Kibby »

My guess would be walnut, but someone else may offer a more reliable answer to that.
The number suggests that it was made in 1916, and this seems reasonable. The deep bevelled edges of the panels were common then.
Some earlier Spencers only have partial iron frames, and wooden pedals.
Around this time, their pedals were quite distinctive, wide metal feet with raised disc, and raised horn at the top. I can't see your pedals clearly, but as long as they work, I wouldn't worry.
Attachments
1913Spencer#603882p.jpg
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info