Rogers Piano from AW Cooke Norwich. Howletts stamp on wood 10529

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

rebeccalockwood

Rogers Piano from AW Cooke Norwich. Howletts stamp on wood 10529

Post by rebeccalockwood »

Hi there
I am currently looking after a piano that has been in my friends family for a while. I am fascinated with finding out its age and heritage. I/m assuming it is 50-60 years old but i would like your help.
Make George Rogers and sons, London
On the inner lid is also written A.W Cooke, Norwich and inside on the wood at the top is a stamp saying W Howlett and son 10529
Really hope you can help. Its a lovely piece, a bit bashed but well used and it is now living out its retirement in my home!
I'd love to know the date of its manufacture
Many thanks
Bill Kibby

Re: Rogers Piano from AW Cooke Norwich. Howletts stamp on wood 10529

Post by Bill Kibby »

Cooke is still in business in Norwich, but their archives are not available. Howlett was the biggest name in Norfolk for many years, and the stock number next to that name suggests that it might be 1920s. What we really need is the Rogers serial number, which might be in the twenty-thousands. If you are lucky, you should be able to just open the top and find it.
If you are able to post photos here to show what the whole piano looks like, I may be able to tell you more.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info