1885 Blüthner

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

1885 Blüthner

Post by Openwood »

This piano in Guernsey is due to be dumped on Friday. It’s nothing to do with me other than I was asked if I wanted it (I don’t). It’s barely playable and a local technician estimated it would need around 10k of work. The case is beautiful and keys are in good condition. Nobody has expressed any interest in it - in my position would you take it and store it so there’s at least a chance of it being restored by someone in the future, or would you accept that it’s stuck in the English Channel, nobody is going to pay to ship it to the mainland and it’s come to the end of its life?
Attachments
666CEF53-1390-49D4-9AC9-246B798E3B92.jpeg
"Each day grow older, and learn something new."
Solon (c. 630 - c. 500 B.C.), Greek Statesman and Reformer
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: 1885 Blüthner

Post by chrisw »

Suggest contacting Roberts Pianos in Oxford to ask if they are interested. They like small Bluthners and also restore older pianos.
Bill Kibby

Re: 1885 Blüthner

Post by Bill Kibby »

If somebody wanted to deliver it to Linconshire free of charge, I would be delighted to have it in our time-line, and might well get it working for very little money.
In the real world, what you say is true, it is unlikely to be worth the cost of transporting it from Guernsey.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info