Knauss Coblenz piano

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

EvieM

Knauss Coblenz piano

Post by EvieM »

I have in my house an upright piano which I'm told has been there years and is possibly part of the original furniture of the house. I'd love to be able to date it and an absolute dream would be to know who originally bought it.

The serial number scratched into the casing is c and s 189050
When opened there is a brass plate to the right with Knauss Coblenz Cegrundet 1832 with two coin-like sigils. The one on the left looks a bit like a roman emperor and the one to the right is a lady with a spear and a wreath with a bird in the foreground.

To the left of that is a large brass plate with two coats of arms. The left one is the crest of the kingdom of Wurtemberg and the one to the right is two rampant crowned griffins supporting a shield with a diagonal stripe

The piano has a plate under the keyboard protector indicating that it was sold by William r Swan 328 oxford road opp Royal infirmary Manchester

As far as I can tell it doesn't have any other markings on it. Any help or advice you can give me would be appreciated. I'm not interested in selling it I'd just love to know the history

Thanks
Evie
Bill Kibby

Re: Help dating a Knauss Coblenz piano please

Post by Bill Kibby »

The number marked C&S is not the maker's serial number, it indicates that the piano was sold by Crane & Sons, probably in the 1930s. It was evidently also sold at some time by Swan, Manchester, but he doesn't appear in my lists up to the twenties. He was at that address from the thirties to at least the fifties.
The coin-like pictures indicate exhibition medals, see
http://www.pianohistory.info/exhibition.html

Knauss is a fairly well-known maker, "Gegrundet" means they were established in 1832, but no reliable dates are available for their serial numbers, so even if you look around and find other numbers, they will not help. The piano was made after the dates of the medals, if you can read those, but you have little hope of finding out the history of the individual piano.
Your best hope of a date is, if your tuner feels it is safe to remove the action (the working parts of the notes) it may be marked with the action makers' name and number, and I may be able to date that.
If you can post photos to show what the WHOLE piano looks like, unobscured by dogs, stools, vases etc., I may be able to tell you more.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
EvieM

Re: Knauss Coblenz piano

Post by EvieM »

Thank you for your help. The piano is pretty battered so I'll see if I can see under the action but I don't think it could be taken off without further damage, and I'm pretty sure it is no longer tunable as its missing a few hammers. I'll do my best to see dates on the medals. I have a different piano I want to move and then get tuned so I'll ask then what their thoughts on this one are, regarding taking the action off. But honestly, thank you for responding and the help is greatly appreciated xx