Hopkinson serial number

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

Indiacaruana

Hopkinson serial number

Post by Indiacaruana »

I was wondering if someone could help with me finding a year of manufacture or a serial number on my piano I've picked up recently. All I've been able to find inside is the letter "F" and something that says "British Made HMX7". It's a Hopkinson London brand.
Bill Kibby

Re: Can't find serial number

Post by Bill Kibby »

Is this an upright piano? Normally, you just open the top and one or more numbers should be visible somewhere. HMX7 sounds like a modern Zender or something, but I can't find any record of that marking. Are you able to attach a photo to show what the whole piano looks like? If you want to search inside the piano for a date, have a look at
http://www.pianohistory.info/datemarks.html
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
pianotechman
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Sydney Zender age

Post by pianotechman »

Hello folks and fellow technicians, the forum seems to have let me in after struggling to get on with my login for a year or two! Hurray.
Today I tuned a Zender with the serial number 64326 [stamped on the soundboard behind the bottom door panel] I estimated the manufacture at about 1973, so anyone who knows the numbers, go on make my day! I have a feeling they were made in the Tottenham area, as I think someone wanted to know on another post. Certainly they had gone by '86 when I left Bluthners in Perivale. :D
David Hamilton Smith
Bill Kibby

Re: Hopkinson serial number

Post by Bill Kibby »

When you tuned it, you had the perfect opportunity to look under the bottom keys for a date label.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
pianotechman
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by pianotechman »

Tried that Bill, yes Brooks often put a key manufacturing date under the end keys which gives you a good idea. [That's if it's not in red and faded!] but this one had nothing other than the serial number. :(
David Hamilton Smith
pianotechman
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by pianotechman »

Tried that Bill, yes Brooks often put a key manufacturing date under the end keys which gives you a good idea. [That's if it's not in red and faded!] but this one had nothing other than the serial number. :(
David Hamilton Smith