Brooklyn piano from Teague & King

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

temcadon

Brooklyn piano from Teague & King

Post by temcadon »

Hi, I'v come across this old Brooklyn Piano which seems to have been sold by Teague and King but I can't find any information relating to date or quality online. It is an upright with a 3/4 iron frame. Quite an interesting sound but not sure whether it's because the strings are old and need replacing? Any info is greatly appreciated. I have the serial number if needs be :) Thanks
Attachments
65447514_553877111813667_945144520268316672_n.jpg
Bill Kibby

Brooklyn

Post by Bill Kibby »

By 1900, the Post Office London Directory lists Green & Savage, Pianoforte Makers, North Road, London N and describes them as "Makers of the Brooklyn Piano". Previously they just used their own name.
They were average commercial pianos, by now very old, and likely to suffer problems, especially loose tuning pins. Here in the UK, pianos like this have very little value.
Serial number dates are not available. The retailers, Teague & King, became a limited company around 1905, so this piano appears to be before that, but we can't tell anything about the individual piano without seeing what the WHOLE thing looks like.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
temcadon

Re: Brooklyn piano from Teague & King

Post by temcadon »

Thanks for the information and apologies for the late reply. This piano has had quite a refurbishment, so not sure if it'll be easily identifiable. It does have a serial number, that is 24701, and I know that it was all painted black and the clear parts were solid wood panels before.
IMG_20211231_152627.jpg
IMG_20211231_152552.jpg
Last edited by temcadon on 31 Dec 2021, 17:57, edited 1 time in total.