B.Squire Hansons - Kemble

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

Rachael85

B.Squire Hansons - Kemble

Post by Rachael85 »

Hi all, can anyone tell me anything about the history of a piano we have? I'm also keen to know if it's a reasonable piano or not, as my husband and son are starting to learn, and I'm hoping to continue from grade 6 where I left off many years ago.

It's a B.Squire, with Hansons on the right of the piano. The serial number is K69640. So I'm thinking Kemble? It's a smaller 85 key piano.

Thanks!
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: B.Squire Hansons - Kemble

Post by chrisw »

IF 69640 is a Kemble serial number it suggests the date of manufacture is 1939.
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

The number preceded by K is almost certainly a 1939 Kemble number, and in modern times, Squire pianos were made by Kemble. I presume the number is on the soundboard, inside the piano, near to the left (bass) side.

Hansons would have been the retailers. Albert Hanson was in Huddersfield, Alfred Hanson was in Coventry.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Rachael85

Post by Rachael85 »

Thank you everyone. I know Kemble is a good upright piano, but the reviews are seen so far are referring to more modern Kembles. I'm hoping our 1939 piano will still be a great little upright. Having it tuned on Thursday so will find out then I suppose!
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

Based on the fact that pianos have been around since about 1700, I have described 1939 as "modern"!

Kembles have been around since 1911. 1929 may be the year when B Squire & Son became a Limited company, but soon after, they had a factory fire. Kemble may have taken over making them at this point, certainly by 1931.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info