STANLEY Brinsmead

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

Gill the Piano

STANLEY Brinsmead

Post by Gill the Piano »

Hello Bill. Stanley (and in smaller writing was Robert George) Brinsmead is not a name I have come across before - I suppose there was some sort of rift in the Brinsmead family? Anyway, tuned this straight strung overdamper today, serial number 10819, retailed by Herbert of Stratford, London E. Several signatures but no dates and Pierce of no use whatsoever. I guesstimated it at about 1925 - 1930 but wondered if you had any record of numbers and/or Mr Herbert please?
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
Bill Kibby

Re: STANLEY Brinsmead

Post by Bill Kibby »

Hearsay is a constant problem to any kind of historian: Someone who knew him and worked with him told me that Stanley's name was not Brinsmead originally, although there was a middle name Stanley in the family of the more famous Brinsmead piano makers. He made or produced pianos with just "Brinsmead" on the front, but later changed his name, and labelled the pianos "Stanley Brinsmead" to avoid conflict with the famous Brinsmead (John). However, the 1936 address seems to follow on from Edward George Stanley Brinsmead.

Beyond that, I can't tell you. Mr Herbert may take longer to find.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info