Piano oscar Köhler Berlin information

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

Evamendez

Piano oscar Köhler Berlin information

Post by Evamendez »

Hello I'm from Barcelona, Spain. I have a old piano Oscar Kohler berlin in very good condition for the age it has. My daughter plays the piano and is tuned regularly. The only information I have is that my great-grandfather gave it to my grandfather at the beginning of the 20th century. I would like to know if it is a good piano or where I could find information about it. The serial number found inside is: 13267
I sent you recent pictures. Thank you very much.
Eva Méndez
Attachments
Screenshot_2018-12-03-19-26-52-1.png
Bill Kibby

Re: Piano oscar Köhler Berlin information

Post by Bill Kibby »

Oscar Kohler was a maker of piano actions, and as far as I am aware he did not have a piano factory, so it is a surprise seeing this example. I can only guess it might be from the twenties.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Evamendez

Post by Evamendez »

Thank you very much for your reply. In my attempt to find information about the piano, I found an advertisement for the sale of another piano, Oscar Kohler, in which he said that there are only 3 in the world. Without entering into economic evaluations, can I think that my piano could have a value independently of sentimentality? I would greatly appreciate your response because I don't know the piano world.
Best regards,
Eva Méndez
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

There is an awful lot of rubbish on the internet about a piano being one of only 3 or 4, but there are already about 3 of these on Google Images, and nobody has checked every house in the world. Some people think that the internet has all the answers, but I have many names on file that are not listed at all online.

Rarity has no monetary value, and pianos may have a lot of hand craft work, but they are basically mass-produced. The name is unlikely to mean much, it was probably applied to a piano made by one of the factories, so don't get carried away by the internet, just enjoy it for what it is.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Evamendez

Post by Evamendez »

I'll do that!. Thank you very much for your reply Mr. Kibby.
You have been very helpful to me. Thank you very much and merry christmas 🎄🎹🎶!!
Eva Méndez