Lichtenstein upright

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

cooty

Lichtenstein upright

Post by cooty »

Hi
We have "inherited" an upright piano with Lichtenstein printed on the underside of the keys cover. The piano is in need of a large amount of TLC with several broken strings, hammers & is quite definitely in need of a tune.
The only identifiers are the numbers 5296 on the piece of wood that anchors the strings & the number 57514 on the back of the hammer assembly which I think is called the "action" - apologies for my lack of knowledge of piano construction!
My wife says she's interested in learning to play the piano, however with the piano in such disrepair - my question is - is it worth the cost of getting the piano up to scratch.
Thanks
Bill Kibby

Re: Lichtenstein upright

Post by Bill Kibby »

"Lichtenstein" pianos were made by Wolfframm, but I have no dates for their numbers. The questions you are asking are impossible to answer without being on the spot to inspect it, so your local tuner is the best person to ask.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
cooty

Post by cooty »

Thanks Bill
I appreciate you can't give me an accurate quote, I'll need a tuner for that as you suggest. I'm just looking for a gut feel really to see if its worth the effort.
Are the piano's still made?
Do you know the rough dates the piano's are/were manufactured?
What quality were they - budget - low end market or better?
Thanks again
David
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

I have never seen one so I can't help you with that.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info