How to find a serial number

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

rkellis

How to find a serial number

Post by rkellis »

We have a John Broadwood & Sons Short Drawing Room Grand. The number on the tag that says Short Drawing Room Grand under the lid says No. 1157. Is that the model number or the serial number? If that is the model number, where can I look for the serial number?
Bill Kibby

Re: How to find a serial number

Post by Bill Kibby »

Have a look at my Numbers page
http://www.pianohistory.info/numbers.html
which explains that serial numbers are usually 5 or 6 digits long, so 1157 is not it, although most pianos have several numbers inside, and we can't always say what they all mean, and it seems too big to be a model number.
1924BroadwoodPianoHistoryMuseum216g (1).jpg
If you slide out the music desk, you may find a number painted onto the iron frame below it, or imprinted in the woodwork inside the top of the piano. It may be to the left of the strings. Most of the removable parts (such as the music desk) may be imprinted with the last 3 digits of the serial number, and this helps you to recognise the real number when you find it. Obviously you won't want to get involved in removing the legs, but if you have no luck, try looking underneath the piano.
1924BroadwoodPianoHistoryMuseum216g (2).jpg
My Broadwood has the number in large figures under the keyboard.
1924BroadwoodPianoHistoryMuseum216g (3).jpg
You could unscrew the pedal unit, but if you crawl underneath to look instead, check first that there is absolutely NO movement whatsoever in the leg joints.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Valeriahwc

Serial numbers

Post by Valeriahwc »

Item deleted.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How to find a serial number

Post by Barrie Heaton »

There is a link in the main menu to the left, to the main site admin

Barrie
Barrie Heaton