Piano with Kohler action

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

Dusan

Piano with Kohler action

Post by Dusan »

Hello,
I wonder if anybody on this forum could help me identify the maker of the baby grand I came across.
As far as I know it was made in Austria or Germany. Do not know when, and I am not sure it is not a Frankenstein piece assembled from several donors.
The keyboard part was made by Oscar Kohler BERLIN, but I don't know when, since I cannot find a serial number.
Ketboard 1.jpg
The metal frame doesn't have maker's name, just "MODELL VIII" and a lira logo.
Frame - 1.jpg
Ketboard 1.jpg
Thanks,
Dusan
Attachments
Frame - 2.jpg
Last edited by Dusan on 13 Mar 2018, 10:38, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Kibby

Who made this piano?

Post by Bill Kibby »

Pianos don't usually work with transplanted parts. Makers who used Kohler actions include Stolle, Marschner, Rosetti, Ramsperger, Hardt, Schumann, Neufeld, Hofman. As always, it may help if you could post a photo that shows me what the WHOLE piano looks like, but my Grands page
http://www.pianohistory.info/grand.html
explains that many grands of the 1900s are so similar, it is difficult to date them by appearance. When you pulled the action out, did you look on the top edge for Kohler's number? This might date the piano, but perhaps someone would recognise the logo on the iron frame.
LyreLogo715f.jpg
Who spells "Model" with a double l? Perhaps Germany, Norway or Sweden?
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Dusan

Re: Who made this piano?

Post by Dusan »

Hi Bill,
Thank you very much for your reply.
This piano is in located in Beograd, Serbia, and it looks like it had, like the rest of the region, a complicated history.
I looked when I took the pictures, but there is no serial number on the action.
It was obvious to me there were some rather crude interventions over time, but nothing that would help me identify it.
For example - the keyboard lid is form very old Wendl & Lung, but it was adjusted to fit this piano.
I will take a photo of the whole piano in a couple of weeks, when I go next to Beograd, but I do not remember anything that would help us identify the maker.
My only hope was that somebody would recognise the unique shape of the metal frame and the logo.
Maybe somebody still will!
Best,
Dusan
Frame - 2.jpg
Bill Kibby

Re: Who made this piano?

Post by Bill Kibby »

Lyres are a very common idea in pianos but I have not been able to identify this one so far
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info