Broadwood Green Frame

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

haydncj

Broadwood Green Frame

Post by haydncj »

Seeking definitive statement on significance of green frame.
Some rumours,
Manufactured by widows and orphans during WW1
Bill Kibby

Re: Broadwood Green Frame

Post by Bill Kibby »

You would have to ask Broadwoods, that seems about the right period, but why does it matter what colour the frame is?
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
timthetune

Post by timthetune »

I would be interested too, if anyone does know. Why is it always mentioned by trade and public sellers alike that they are the better, sought after Broadwoods? Is this complete nonsense, or is there any truth to it? I remember hearing years ago one way or another, that gold paint was hard to get hold of during the war years, again could be complete rubbish. Bill, I know it doesn't matter, but it would be interesting to know if there was a reason why they switched from gold to green, or even manufactured them side by side. And while we're on the subject, why did some Allison uprights have brown frames and was it Monington & Weston who used frigate grey..... :wink:
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

Sounds like a question you should ask Broadwoods. I confess that in all the piano specifications I have on file, I rarely mention the colour of the frame. If I had realised that it would be important to anyone, I would have added the colour to my list of details.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info