Neumeyer grand sold by Harrods

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

EmilyMartinMusic

Neumeyer grand sold by Harrods

Post by EmilyMartinMusic »

Hello there. I am currently in the process of buying a Neumayer baby grand. I have seen and played the piano and it does it's job. I would like to find out some more information about it though, when it was sold etc.

Supplied by Harrods ltd London 40878
And 8295 embossed in the wood where the pedals meet the main body of the piano.

Does anyone know any contacts who could help me with this?

Thanks in advance
Bill Kibby

Re: Looking for info on Neumayer sold by Harrods

Post by Bill Kibby »

The Harrods number suggests that it was sold around 1936. May I ask you please to confirm the exact spelling of the name on the piano, is it Neumayer or Neumeyer? Harrods were sole concessionaries for Neumeyer.

I may be able to tell you more if you could post photos here to show us what the whole piano looks like. Alternatively, you could email them to me to post.

With German pianos, if you ask your tuner to inspect the action (the working parts pf the notes) it may be marked with the action makers' name and number, and I may be able to date this.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
EmilyMartinMusic

Re: Looking for info on Neumayer sold by Harrods

Post by EmilyMartinMusic »

Wow thank you for your reply! It is in fact Neumeyer! It will be arriving on Monday and will be tuned a few weeks after so I will keep you posted. In the meantime I will email you some photos :) thanks again!
Bill Kibby

Re: Neumeyer grand sold by Harrods

Post by Bill Kibby »

1936~Neumeyer#8295 H40878g (1).JPG
Unless your tuner can find the action makers' name and number, the Harrods number is the best guide we have, no dates are available for Neumeyer piano numbers.
1936~HarrodsNeumeyer#8295 H40878#.JPG
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info