Danemann logo

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

vernon

Danemann logo

Post by vernon »

A new one on me.

I saw an early 1900s Danemann u/r with ornate case today ,unfortunately with split plank and completely useless.

However, on removing the delightful "Arts and Crafts" style plate on the fall it revealed underneath an inlaid brass name " T Edwards"

What's going on there?
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
Bill Kibby

Re: danemann logo

Post by Bill Kibby »

Danemann certainly operated as wholesalers, offering pianos to be fitted with various names such as "Waldberg", or perhaps even "Steinweg", so I presume T.Edwards was a retailer who wanted his name on the pianos he sold.

Why it would then get covered with a Danemann name, I don't know, perhaps he cancelled the order.

Obviously, Edwards is a common name, but I can't remember any with the initial T around that time, unless it was Edwards & Son, Brighton.

There was a music business named T. Edwards in Hexham, Northumberland in the twenties.

Incidentally, I had a friend who used to work for Danemanns, he said they pronounced it "Danny-Man", which seems surprising.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
vernon

Re: Danemann logo

Post by vernon »

I remember in the early 80s one of the Danemann brothers would call as he was their rep. I remember he had a wooden leg!
He would huff and puff into the shop and slump onto a stool, produce his order book and say "what am I putting you down for today!"
I always called him Mr "Danemann" with no demur.
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk