Winkelmann Braunschweig

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

cstead75

Winkelmann Braunschweig

Post by cstead75 »

Hello,
I've just purchased a six foot grand piano and would like to know the age. The piano is a Winkelman Braunschweig serial number 10836, with mark to say sold by J Muir Wood & Co Glasgow. From what I can work out the piano was probably manufactured between 1896 and 1897, it would be great if someone was able to confirm for me. Interesting piece of history the piano was once owned by Andy Stewart, the gentleman who composed Donald Where's Yer Troosers?
Thanks!
Conrad
Bill Kibby

Re: Piano age Winkelmann Braunschweig

Post by Bill Kibby »

Is it possible that you could post photos here to show us what the whole piano looks like? Or email them to me to post.

The number certainly suggests 1896. J.Muir Wood had died in 1892, but his long-established company name continued for some years. Zeitter took over Winkelmann, and they became Zeitter & Winkelmann, but there was a considerable overlap period. There is some debate about whether their numbers can be applied to Winkelmann pianos, but they often seem near to the truth.

Your best hope is to ask your tuner to inspect the action (the working parts of the notes) to see if it is marked with the action makers' name and number, and I may be able to date this.

Harry Lauder preferred German pianos too. I'd like to say I miss Andy Stewart's hogmanay, but... :D
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
cstead75

Re: Winkelmann Braunschweig

Post by cstead75 »

Here are a couple of photos
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

I think this is entirely appropriate for an 1896 piano, thanks for showing it to us.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
doctorbaz
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by doctorbaz »

Looks like a nice instrument! I've only ever played Winkelmann uprights which have been lovely. Interesting to know the Andy Stewart connection - I was friends with Andy's musical director, the late Mark Simson, who I'm sure must have played this Winkelmann many times!