J.Claypole and Son

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

iago

J.Claypole and Son

Post by iago »

hello all

Can someone tell me the value of this piano? The owner sell this piano by 350 pounds but I am not sure if it is a good deal.He said me that the piano is more than 100 years old .I am not sure about this but the piano looks fine, it is in good conditions.

Thanks in advance for your help
Attachments
piano j.claypole and son
piano j.claypole and son
Bill Kibby

J.Claypole and Son

Post by Bill Kibby »

If you could post a photo showing what the WHOLE piano looks like it would help me to assess its age and type.

Nobody anywhere can guess the value or condition of a piano without inspecting it on the spot, and tuning it, so your local tuner is the best person to ask.

The overriding question with a piano of that age is whether it can be tuned.

You don't say where you are in the world. Here in Britain, unrestored antique pianos have very little value, and I am offered several each year for nothing, but I don't know what work may have been done on it.

Claypole was around for over 60 years, so the name doesn't help, does it show an address in Peterborough anywhere?
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: J.Claypole and Son

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Regardless of value and selling price (which are two different things), I think the fact that its over 100 years old might send alarm bells ringing.... unless the piano was just for ornamental use or generally for "knocking out" the odd tune. If the piano had been refurbished inside at some stage, it might sell for that.... depends on advert.

What would the piano be used for? For example......

Ornament?
Bit of fun?
Children to learn on?
Adult beginner?
Good pianist?
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
Baker

Post by Baker »

Colin Nicholson wrote:Regardless of value and selling price (which are two different things), I think the fact that its over 100 years old might send alarm bells ringing.... unless the piano was just 1 for ornamental use or generally for "knocking out" the odd tune. If the piano had been refurbished inside at some stage, it might sell for that.... depends on advert.

What would the piano be used for? For example......

Ornament?
Bit of fun?
Children to learn on?
Adult beginner?
Good pianist?
What's wrong with old pianos? If they worked back then can't they still be tuned now?
Last edited by Baker on 15 Feb 2017, 14:01, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

It looks more like a twenties piano to me, can we see what the WHOLE piano looks like?

The most important factor deciding the value of a piano is its condition, and the most important aspect of that is whether it holds in tune, because repinning and restringing will cost over a thousand pounds, and this is usually more than an old piano is worth. Nobody can guess the value or condition of a piano without inspecting it on the spot, and tuning it, so your local tuner is the best person to ask about that.

Here in Britain, where antique pianos are plentiful, unrestored ones have very little value, and we are offered several each year for nothing.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
vernon

Post by vernon »

re Baker=" if they worked back then can't they be tuned now? " unfortunately often not.
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk