B Squire and Son upright

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

Rob

B Squire and Son upright

Post by Rob »

Hi,

We've had a B. Squire and Son upright piano for many years, sadly due to space constraints we are going to have to sell it now (a digital has taken it's place). Fabulous condition, nice and original in walnut and sounds wonderful .. but I don't know anything else about it really to help advertise it, even a date for it! Can anyone help? Also I realise that no one can put a proper value on any piano without an inspection but could anyone suggest the best way to advertise and sell it?
I'll add a few photos .. hopefully if I can figure out how :)
Thanks.
Attachments
image_1.jpeg
image_2.jpeg
image_6.jpeg
image_5.jpeg
image.jpeg
Gill the Piano

Re: B Squire and Son upright

Post by Gill the Piano »

What about the person who tuned it for you before you got the machine? It looks 1890s to me, as it has oblong tuning pins (rather than the modern square ones) and to be brutal its appeal as an instrument will be limited. It might sell better as an antique rather than as a piano but the case isn't ornate enough to appeal to the decorators' market.
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
vernon

Post by vernon »

Right on
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Value very little due to age and oblong pins.... best remove those images as they show up rust and bashed in pins.
Might be best to take a photo with flash, to show up finish better.
Try advertising on Ebay (need to register and have a PayPal account)/
OR: Try Gumtree - free to register and free to advertise, up to 9 photos/ meet buyer face to face, cash/ buyer collects. Can pay for extras to 'feature' it better.
Have a look to see what a piano sells for of this age.... and aim price around there.
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

Gill may be right about 1890s. my guess is about 1902, and oblong pins were still used by some firms then, but other Squires with similar numbers had square pins.

An interesting questions for piano geeks - never mind when they stopped being used, when did oblong pins START being used? What's the earliest dated example you know of?

Here in Britain, unrestored antique pianos have very little value, and I am offered several each year for nothing, just to save them from destruction.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Rob

Post by Rob »

Thanks for all the info and advice, it's really helpful. When I asked our piano tuner a few visits ago about age he also went for about turn of the century but really wasn't sure. I'll take better photos for the advert, good plan, and price it to sell. Will be sad to see it go, been a great family piano, but needs must.
Again, really appreciate all the help.