Vogelberg piano

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

JanetSarah

Vogelberg piano

Post by JanetSarah »

I have a Vogelberg upright piano supplied by Methven & Simpson, 83 Princes Street, Edinburgh. I understand they bought in pianos from wholesalers then gave them a name - is Vogelberg one of these names as I can't seem to find any info elsewhere on the internet. The serial no is 14711 and has by appt to HM King George V. I am trying to establish if it is worth restoring and the cost.
Bill Kibby

Re: History of Vogelberg piano

Post by Bill Kibby »

We can't tell you anything about an individual piano just from a name. I have no record of a real piano maker named Vogelberg, and it is probably one of those made-up German-sounding names based on the name of a town. It was Methven Simpson who had the royal appointment. They became Ltd. in 1902, so if your piano doesn't say Ltd., it was probably made before then. They were at that address from at least the 1880s to the 1930s.

Nobody anywhere can guess the value or condition of a piano without inspecting it on the spot, and tuning it, so your local tuner is the best person to ask. If you are in East Anglia, I could look at it for you.

Is it possible that you could upload photos of the piano here, or email them to me, to show us what the whole piano looks like on the outside?
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
JanetSarah

Re: History of Vogelberg piano

Post by JanetSarah »

Thanks for that. I live up in Dunblane, Scotland - a bit too far for you I think but will contact someone local to have a look at it.