Saffell & Martin

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

Bill Kibby

Saffell & Martin

Post by Bill Kibby »

Can anyone throw any further light on Saffell & Martin, who seem to have been making or selling pianos around 1920, but don't appear on any lists I can find for that period?

SAFFELL (Frederick)
1914-18 During the war, Barratt & Robinson sold their business to Frederick Saffell, of the Triumph Auto Piano Co.

SAFFELL & MARTIN, BIRMINGHAM, & Scotland?
1886 Not listed in Birmingham directory.
1894 Not listed.
1899 Not listed.
Circa 1910 Saffell & Martin may have been in Cardiff around 1910, but don't seem to appear in any of our lists until 1936.
Circa 1910 Triumph Autopiano #15,000 was sold at some time by Saffell & Martin, Roath Park, Cardiff.
1911 Not listed.
1914 Not listed.
1928 Not listed.

SAFFELL & MARTIN, DALE END, BIRMINGHAM
"A Saffell & Martin piano has come into my possession. Under the brand it reads "Dale End Birmingham". I know absolutely nothing about it. Is there any value or history behind it? -Thank you for your time "

"Is anyone familiar with the English piano makers "Saffell and Martin"? I have a 3/4 upright antique English piano with that name on it from Dale End, Birmingham. I am curious to the age and value of this instrument. I've searched everywhere and can't find a single piece of literature on this piano (maker). Help! Thanks!"

1936 Saffell & Martin, 118 Dale End.
1938 Saffell & Martin, 118 Dale End.
1949 Not listed in "Who's who in music".
1951 Not listed.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info