Berlin Neumeyer Upright

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

Grandaughter

Berlin Neumeyer Upright

Post by Grandaughter »

Hello Bill,
I have looked for the age of my grandfather's piano, which I now have, on the Neumeyer site. It can't be correctly shown as the number, 12255, written inside my piano in several places must be before 1914 when my grandfather bought it secondhand, for £25, from his regiment's (1st Northamptonshire) Mess. (I think as it was a German one it was politically embarrassing). I have the receipt but will have trouble uploading the photo somewhere else as I am not very computer literate. I might use the email link shown on another page of this site, if you don't mind. It has a lovely mellow tone. It was open when the roof was blown off the bungalow in Shirley Croydon a couple of times in WW2 in the rain and was restored lovingly by a Mr Spratt in Sussex.
Where can I find it correctly dated? Your history page here suggests it would have been between 1867 and 1914 so that is the nearest I can get.
There is no hurry for finding an answer. I want to pass it on at some stage to one of my sons who both play. We are fond of it even though it only seems to get played these days when they visit me.
Sincerly
Pat D.
Bill Kibby

Re: Berlin Neumeyer Upright

Post by Bill Kibby »

Firstly, I should explain that this is not my website, the history page is not mine, and I have no access to the emails sent to this website. Photos are the best way for me to judge its age. If you want to email photos, the easiest way is to click on the link below to my website, then press the email button there. The email button here does not accept attachments.

There were half a dozen different firms called Neumeyer, can you tell me the complete, exact wording on the piano?

And can you tell me which website you describe as the Neumeyer site?

Ask your tuner if it would be safe to remove the action and look for markings on the rear of it. In particular, the action makers' name and number may tell me the age, as shown at
http://www.pianohistory.info/numbers.html
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info