Bluthner Model V

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

dropinnmonty

Bluthner Model V

Post by dropinnmonty »

My mother wishes to dispose of a piano that has been in the family for about the last 30 years. It measures 68inches in length (overall) and 58inches wide. It has 88 keys and there is a number (in the 17000's) under the middle strings....so from the Bluthner website this dates it at 1908. The casing is a mid/dark wood and the legs are turned. The only piano I see, on-line, that is the same size/era is the Model V. Can anyone confirm if this is what it is, and perhaps tell me more about it. We don't really have space, except that an extention I'm planning could be enlarged somewhat to accommodate it. Whilst my wife plays and I want our 3 kids to learn, would we be better going for something more practical, or should we go with sentiment? Is it worth keeping? Looking forward to replies.
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Bluthner Model V

Post by Colin Nicholson »

According to my catalogue of serial numbers for Bluthner, the date 1908 corresponds to a serial number #75000 - #77999.
(17000 doesn't seem right - and would imply around 1880).... this may be a stock number.
If you look under the bass strings (left side) - just below the Bluthner decal/ in front of the dampers on the soundboard, the serial number is usually there.... but it might be very dusty & unclear. Black numbers - about 2cm in height.
The model letter may be around the tuning pin area.

No one can guess its condition or tell you much unless the piano is fully inspected and partially tuned by a tuner.

Some Bluthner grands have a 4th string in the treble (aliquot scaling) - suspended above the tri chords. The piano may have an Erard or Bluthner patent (abstract) mechanism - so depending on condition, this would need to be checked along with checking the wrest plank for any loose pins/ rust/ corrosion/ keyboard & general casework condition. Bluthner are very reputable - but only if tuned and serviced regularly.

An assessment takes around one hour and should provide all the information you need including restoration costs etc.

Hope that helps....
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
Bill Kibby

Re: Bluthner Model V

Post by Bill Kibby »

The only thing I would add is that the whole world is not online, and Bluthners made a whole range of models, so the fact that you don't see others online does not mean yours is a Model V. The model may be marked on the iron frame inside. Nobody can tell you whether sentiment is that important to you!
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info