1840 Broadwood Cabinet Pianoforte

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

DanCam

1840 Broadwood Cabinet Pianoforte

Post by DanCam »

Good day all, and thanks for this forum.
I recently purchased a 19th century Broadwood Cabinet piano. However, I have some doubts as to whether firstly it is a broadwood. The nameplate says "Broadwood, 1810, London" the cabinet model was first created in 1811 by broadwood, so this obviously was added. Secondly, the ONLY number I can find anywhere (I have searched every inch of this piece) is the number "12" hand written with ink. Thirdly, I have never seen a Broadwood Cabinet with double columns and the curtain has been replaced with a 19th century French tapestry with a figure of Napoleon. I guess what I would like to know is if the cabinet trully is a Broadwood and then I can have the serial number verified.
Thank you, Daniel
IMAG0376.jpg
IMAG0386.jpg
IMAG0375.jpg
IMAG0364.jpg
IMAG0365.jpg
I have more pictures if needed, thanks...
DanCam

Re: 19th Century Broadwood Cabinet model

Post by DanCam »

IMAG0368.jpg
IMAG0369.jpg
IMAG0370.jpg
IMAG0382.jpg
IMAG0371.jpg
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Hi Daniel

Welcome to the forum.

A very attractive cabinet piano.... and all looks original.

There is no reason to think this could be another piano name, however the brass plaque is somewhat later. It looks like the casework exterior has been stripped & re-polished, and the ornate/ delicate (alleged) 'Broadwood' decal (usually ebony coloured with a gold flourishing surround) has been damaged during stripdown, and so the polisher decided to remove it. Hiding a multitude of sins, many polishers or retailers often put a plaque on the front, because the decals are no longer available. This may have had a 'Greens' retailers on it from London.

The mechanism design, ogee key fronts with ivory tops, trusses (not columns, though that length, they could be called that!).... and more vividly the beautifully curved fallboard (lid that covers the keys) look typically Broadwood. I have seen a few early (barless) grands with this fallboard design (and folded in the middle) - and of a 2-tone colour.

I doubt if the '12' is the serial number. Broadwood are very eccentric about their dating of pianos, so much so, the lists I have of their pianos individually label each 'type' of piano into various categories for their serial numbers. For example: Squares/ Cabinets/ Cottages/ Grands/ Full Bicha/ Boudoir/ Uprights are dated in chronological order very carefully.

They list four periods (every 5 years) only for their cabinets with their serial numbers:-

(Year) 1820 #1769 (serial no#)
1825 #3100
1830 #4200
1835 #5400
and.. 1854 #8962 ...... the very last Cabinet piano they made.

So you may be looking for a FOUR digit number. It can be seen they made around 1000 cabinet pianos every 5 years.

You may need to remove the mechanism (very carefully!) - without damaging the long stickers, and the serial number may be on the soundboard, behind the strings. Also, have a look in the bottom of the piano and take the first left key out - maybe clues there. In terms of history, best to put this on the history forum for Bill to look at.... he is the expert.

Hope that helps

Colin Nicholson
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

It looks very like the Collard upright at Dorney Court in Bucks...that had a date of 1849 in it.
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
Feg

Post by Feg »

For all things Broadwood, contact Dr A Lawrence at Finchcocks Museum. I believe original manufacture and sales records still exist.
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

I didn't know about this enquiry, because it is not on the piano history forum, and I am not notified.

I have already been dealing with this through Skype and emails. It's clear that the date on the brass decal is 1840, although it would originally have had a handwritten paper label, so we have to trust that they kept the authentic date.

Looking up a Broadwood piano in their archives depends on knowing the serial number. The only number found inside is #12, but a Broadwood 1840 cabinet should have a number around 7000. If it were really the serial number, the #12 would suggest the twelfth Cabinet piano they made in 1811, but it looks a bit later.

The typical London Legs are more usual on cottage pianos, although types of leg varied quite a bit on Broadwood cabinet pianos.

With pictures and messages coming at me from 4 different directions, I am at a loss to know where to write what!
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
DanCam

Post by DanCam »

HAHA @ Bill,

Sorry about that, Skype, emails and forum. I am really only concerned with the history of this piece. How it ended up in Mexico for example. Thanks to all of you for your assistance. I am hoping we can resolve this mysterious pianos origins.
You may need to remove the mechanism (very carefully!) - without damaging the long stickers, and the serial number may be on the soundboard, behind the strings. Also, have a look in the bottom of the piano and take the first left key out - maybe clues there.

I have removed the action as you can see in one of the photos, and there are no numbers or even markings behind the strings.
I really feel tentative about removing the keys as I am not a piano guy, lol.
DanCam

Post by DanCam »

Gill the Piano wrote:It looks very like the Collard upright at Dorney Court in Bucks...that had a date of 1849 in it.
it also looks a lot like this Broadwood in the New York Met.
http://www.metmuseum.org/Collections/se ... nos&pos=33

Do you have a link to any photos of that piano?
DanCam

Post by DanCam »

One thing nobody has asked is the octave range. Its 6 1/2 I believe, ranges from C to F
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

It is not unusual for this period, we didn't need to ask because we can see the notes. The earlier ones were 61 notes C-C, or 66 notes C-F, but by 1822, Broadwood cabinets could have 78 notes F-C.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info