T.H. Mann & Co Pianos

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

roundboy22
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

T.H. Mann & Co Pianos

Post by roundboy22 »

Hi,

My name is Mike Mann and I am the last in the TH Mann line. My Grandfather, Theodore H Mann came to America with his wife Franceska prior to WWII. My Father is Theodore G Mann who has two sons, myself and my twin brother.

I am looking for lost relatives in Germany or folks who may know a bit about my family. I have the Grand piano my grandfather brought to America along with it's original Bethoven piano chair. See picture.
Attachments
TH Mann piano.JPG
Bill Kibby

Re: T.H. Mann & Co Pianos

Post by Bill Kibby »

I hope you get some response from relatives, it may take time. Can you tell us when the piano was made, or give any information at all about Mann pianos?

I have never heard of a Beethoven piano chair, but chairs are not usual for piano playing, the arms get in the way.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by NewAge »

I'd never heard of a Beethoven chair either, and would guess it may be an American term.

A quick Google indicates a site that states that whether one is looking for an Abc_xyz bench or a Beethoven chair - they have it. I can't help but wondering whether the chairs have an imprint of Beethoven's derriere!
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
roundboy22
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by roundboy22 »

Regarding the Bethoven piano chair...If you look at the chair it was made to match the piano. The hand carving on the chair matches the music sheet rack. These chairs were made to accomodate different sized piano players. I believe we had the patent in the 1800's through the turn of the century. There is a gear rack system involved.

The piano was the "Mann family" piano. Rosewood all around. Heavy. Made at the turn of the century and upgraded just before it was shipped to the US. I'll have to check to see when that was... circa 1930's. The factory was bombed out in 1940's, we may have a picture. I also have some other memorabilia. Very little remains though. My wife, mother and I went to Bielefeld in 2004 but were unable to even find where the factory was.

Added as an attachment is the Mann piano family crest and some German maybe someone can translate for me. It would be nice to have a detailed family crest picture if anyone feels they can help along those lines. Geneology pages don't seem to have a TH Mann crest that matches this one.

Thank you for your best wishes and help in my search for our family roots.

MM
Attachments
mann crest small.jpg
mann manf small.jpg
roundboy22
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by roundboy22 »

Just a quick add on to the previous post on the Beethoven chair. Thai is what we called it and there is also a stamping on the thumb latch for the chair.

Thanks, MM
roundboy22
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by roundboy22 »

For Mann Family members..

I have pictures of all the TH Manns, etc..

MM
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

All I can read is that they received a prize medal in Dusseldorf at some sort of exhibition. Have a look at my exhibition page at
http://www.pianohistory.info/

If you type out the German you can get a good idea of it from Google Translate.

I presume this is the same Theo. Mann who was established at Bielfeld in 1836?
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

The raised iron lettering on the capo bar reads:-

"Royal Press State Medal Dusseldorf"

Not 100% sure about the word "Preuss" - it could be a German word connected with Royalty and not translated. However, next week I am tuning a piano for a well-known song writer & folk singer who lectures in German.... so I will ask him if you wish.

Colin
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

Sorry, I read it as "Preiss" and associated it with "Medaille", but PREUSSEN means Prussian.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
vernon

Post by vernon »

I read it as" Preuss" short for Preussicher ie Royal Prussian- Hein?
Perhaps we can have the words sent clearer.
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
roundboy22
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by roundboy22 »

Thank you all for your help. Really appreciate the work.

We are the same as Theo and the factory started in the late 1930's. I believe his name was Theofeld, but I have to get into my storage to find details like that. There is a full family logo / picture under the harp and strings, I will try to get a picture of it and post it later if there is any interest. My mother ( almost 84 now) thinks this piano was made after the turn of the century. She says that the key count is less than modern pianos. There is a serial number ( at least I think that is what it is) next to the harp..16556.

As for other members of the TH Mann family across the sea.. Please post, it would be great to hear from you.

Thanks,
MM
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

I'm not sure if this forum is suitable and "kitted out" for any kind of long-lost relatives. I reckon you may need to contact a professional organisation to help you with your enquiries.... which you may have done? Something like Genes ReUnited may be able to help.

Are you talking about the soundboard decal?? Would be good to see.
Are the castors 'sunk' into the feet? I know a 1860's style of Steinway (model D) had these "elephant" style legs.
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

I imagine you meant to type 1830s? Information about the number of notes can be found at
http://pianohistory.info/edwardian.html

You might also find interesting items at
http://pianohistory.info/genealogy.html
but the Mann mentioned there is Frederick Mann, the Colchester retailer.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

I'm new on this forum. Can anyone tell me a little bit more about this T.H. Mann & Co piano. I bought it more than 10 years ago, but till now, I know very litte about it. Thanks, Martijn
Attachments
Picture 001.jpg
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

I think it is clear from the previous entries that we don't much about the company, so I am sorry we have no hope of helping with information about individual pianos. Any further clues will be hidden inside.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
terrano2006

Post by terrano2006 »

roundboy22 wrote:Hi,

My name is Mike Mann and I am the last in the TH Mann line.
Hello, Mike! It's great you proud of the past of your family! The reason I'm writing the letter is that I just bought Th.Mann&Co piano, number 10969, rosewood-made, and I'm really impressed the condition it still have (without any care of it from its previous owner) and sound sound of course - it's like silver bells ringing, it's awesome!
Nice to meet you! And first of all sorry for mistakes I'm doing, here in Moscow I use english close to never, unfortunately.
Best wishes!
roundboy22
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by roundboy22 »

I will be listing the Mann family piano for sale on this site soon. Probably right after the New year / January 2015.
Thank you all for your communications.

Mike Mann
1-360-219-8495
USA
PMorrill

Post by PMorrill »

My daughter and son-in-law have purchased this piano for their three musical children. She is trying to glean as much information as she can on the history of the piano. She has met Mike Mann and gotten as much information from him as she can, and she hopes to talk with his mother, as well. She and her family are very interested in the history of the piano and would love any information that can be found about the piano and the company. Our whole family are very interested in history.
DonProfondo

Post by DonProfondo »

PMorrill wrote:(...) and would love any information that can be found about the piano and the company. Our whole family are very interested in history.
I came across this forum by chance and would like to throw my two cents in.

Originally I am from Bielefeld/Germany where Th.Mann & Co. were located and I also own a Mann piano which I inherited from my granny.
When I ordered my piano to be heavily restored some 20 years ago I got the chance by a friend to visit the "Stadtarchiv Bielefeld" which is sort of the City's Archive and usually not open to the general public. There I found historic newspaper articles and photos about the company and its founder. Have them somewhere and will post them here if someone is interested.

Th.Mann & Co ("Th" stands for Theophilus, not Theodore) was founded in the 1800's and quickly came to fame by their quality pianos.
The pianos by Th. Mann & Co. were usually suitable for all climate zones which they advertised accordingly as well as their robust structure. You can play several models even when they are turned sideways.
I don't know who would do such a thing, but why not? ;)

In 1889 Th.Mann & Co. was present at Exposition Universelle in Paris and apparently their pianos received critical acclaim.
The company grew further and received an own loading point for being accessed by cargo trains. By 1935 they had weekly train shipments leaving their factory.

During WW2 Bielefeld was targeted regularly and heavily by British and American Airforces.In 1942 or 1944 the factory was hit and completely destroyed. As the majority of Bielefeld was bombed into rubbles already and Germany as a whole not looking any better, the Mann family was forced to close down business.

That's all I can remember, hope the information help a bit. Years may not be 100% accurate and I have to look for those newspaper articles.
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

I thought I had more information, but it turns out to be Frederick Mann, Colchester.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
roundboy22
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by roundboy22 »

Hi and thank you to everyone reading posting to my TH Mann family piano posts.

My grandfather Theodore Herman Mann came to America before WWII. He was the first born son and as far as I know the last TH Mann. His first born son Theodore Gerhard Mann is my father and I am a twin who has no children. I can't tell you how much it means to me to see any post. No word came to our family from about 1940 on. I believe my grandfather Theodore H Mann had a sister sister,Ruth and a brother Gerhard.

The web address below is a Shutterfly photo book my wife Kathleen Mann has made that shows some of our family history and photos. There are a couple documents too.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welc ... m7Jm1cOHFA

Thanks,
Michael Mann
Vancouver Washington USA
Martín A.I. Mann O.

Post by Martín A.I. Mann O. »

roundboy22 wrote: 14 Dec 2012, 04:57 Hi,

My name is Mike Mann and I am the last in the TH Mann line. My Grandfather, Theodore H Mann came to America with his wife Franceska prior to WWII. My Father is Theodore G Mann who has two sons, myself and my twin brother.

I am looking for lost relatives in Germany or folks who may know a bit about my family. I have the Grand piano my grandfather brought to America along with it's original Bethoven piano chair. See picture.
Hello Mike!
My name is Martin A.I. Mann O.
It is a pleasure to meet long lost relatives!! My great grandfather Wilhelm Mann Olderman one of the sons of our ancestral pua o makers emigrated to Chile... being a Doctor of Philosophy in Frankfurt with over 6 related Doctorates he came to Chile to bring experimental psychology to strengthen then pedagogical methods, funding academies and had many related achievements... his son Guillermo Mann Fischer as a Veterinarian wrote some of the first and best zoological books of his time and went on expedition to Antartica having a Chilean base there named after him... I just recently researched the past beyond them and found this site... it would be an honor to reconnect and strengthen our family bonds... Prost!!!!
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by chrisw »

I would recommend sending Mr. Michael Mann a private message through this forum as a means of getting in touch. Alternatively you may find him on Facebook.