Collard and Collard pianino

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

stacee

Collard and Collard pianino

Post by stacee »

I have recently become the proud owner of a Collard and Collard Pianino. A piano tuner (who is almost 90) has never seen one like this before. It is a black half piano with tuning pins above the keyboard and a metal overstrung frame. It has three pedals and is accompanied by a black kidney-shaped stool. Does anyone know anything about these pianos please?
Bill Kibby

Re: Collard and Collard pianino

Post by Bill Kibby »

Sounds fascinating, but I can't quite follow your description, is there any chance you could either upload some images here, or email them to me?

Firstly, the term "Pianino" is usually applied to small French uprights, does that word appear on the piano?

A metal overstrung frame and 3 pedals is not that unusual in itself, although 2 pedals is more common.

You describe it as a half piano, is that half vertically or horizontally?

Some uprights were made with the main body up to keyboard height, and an open harp-like structure extending up from there. Is this what you have? Some people call them Harp Pianos, but at the time, they had various names.

Stools rarely have anything to do with the piano, although they were often polished to match the finish of the piano.

Can you look inside and find any numbers that might give a clue to its age?
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

I understand now! In 1934, Eavestaffs had such success with their Minipiano that other makers tried to imitate it, and that is what you have, a 1935 Collard & Collard version of the minipiano, which they labelled "Pianino". I haven't seen a Collard like this, but as a type of piano, it is fairly ordinary for the thirties.
1935Collard#194832uu.jpg
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Very interesting piano.... not seen the inspection window before.
Must be very tightly packed inside there.

Not sure how Collard's serial numbers being reliable, but I think there is a serial number punched onto the soundboard - on the left (through the window). This could tell us the correct age?
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
Johnkie
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Johnkie »

Inspection window Colin :lol: It's more like an "upright Grand lid" to amplify the sound. When ever I come across one of these I always wonder why they didn't motorise it to turn it into a Vox Humana :wink:
Concert Tuner & Technician for 45+ years - North East UK
stacee

Post by stacee »

Yes it is all quite tightly packed inside- I could upload some photos of the innards. Whilst delving inside I have ascertained that the middle pedal operates the sound amplification flap at the front. It was permanently open but a bit of jiggling has reset the operating rack. I am trying to find a way to get to the hammers that are beneath some of the mechanism but think I should wait for the piano tuner tomorrow! Piano has been given a date of 1935 by Bill Kibby.
vernon

Post by vernon »

I hope the tuner finds the visit interesting
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
stacee

Post by stacee »

The tuner says that I should never be let out unattended again! Hideously difficult to tune- some strings cannot be got to properly. All notes playing now and sounds much better. It makes him feel much more kindly towards my old Paul Werner upright.
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Even though they look very pretty pianos, they are not really designed for the average ''quick repair & tune'' - and with having a 'drop action' - everything is submerged deep inside the piano with loads of those lift rods. If you look on my 'restore' page on my website, I restored a 1930's Eavestaff - similar in style to yours, but this has very attractive chrome electric candle bulbs & holders.... and the mechanism is only accessible from the back of the piano!! .... so you thought yours was difficult to tune? (also see Gallery for slideshow on the restoration) .... but lots of bits of pianos!

I'll still tune them if I come across one, but I'm trying the hang up my circus outfit!

Hope you enjoy your piano....
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen