Dagmar piano, what is it ?!

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

Marionkiwi

Dagmar piano, what is it ?!

Post by Marionkiwi »

I can see there are some clever piano people here and I’m hoping you can help, my parents bought me a second hand piano in 1969 it’s branded Dagmar, has the serial number 21443 and British made on the frame, I’ve searched this site and everywhere on Google and can find nothing other than the odd photo of a Dagmar, I’m thinking it was a made up brand stuck on a piano manufactured by another maker, but who ? Any ideas, ? I’m still playing it every day and teach piano here in the Wairarapa in Aotearoa NZ it’s followed me across the world so I would love to know a bit more of its history. Still have the original receipt for it too!!
Thanks for any help
Marion kiwi
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Dagmar piano, what is it ?!

Post by chrisw »

Dagmar are mentioned in The Musician's Piano Atlas but apart from saying that James Smith &sons,76/72 Lord Street Liverpool were the sole agents it says little else. Sorry but I do not have a list of serial numbers and dates.
Marionkiwi

Post by Marionkiwi »

Wow, thank you so much, this is really useful, I googled the shop that sold them and found out that the action is likely Herrburger brooks, still no possible clue about why the name was stuck on it, there is a post wondering whether it was because it had a Royal link…but since Princess Dagmar died in the 1920’s I can’t see a piano having its name stuck on it in the 1960s!
Altogether a mystery, maybe someone else can shed some light…
Nga mihi
Marion Kiwi
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by chrisw »

If it has a Herrberger Brooks(HB) action it is likely the date of manufacture is found somewhere on the action. The lowest note key on my piano, which has a HB action, has been time stamped. Ask your tuner to have a look.
Marionkiwi

Post by Marionkiwi »

Amazing timing as my tuner is coming tomorrow!! Thanks for the advice…will ask him to have a look
Thanks Marion Kiwi