Kent & Cooper

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

Simon Notts.

Kent & Cooper

Post by Simon Notts. »

Hello,
New poster to this excellent site and I'm hoping that I can get some initial advice on being able to identify an old upright piano. We've inherited an old piano that looks like it hasn't seen much action in quite a while. The only identifying marks/labels I can find are as follows.

The label on the inside of the lid is for a company called Kent & Cooper Of Nottingham, there's also a number stamped into the case - 23829
In addition there's a label on the action for a John Malcolm & Co. London with a number 114628. I'm not sure whether either of the names mentioned refer to a maker/manufacturer or not.

Does this give sufficient information to be able to figure out what it is, how old it might be, or who made it ? Any help you may be able to give would be much appreciated.
Cooper

Re: Kent & Cooper

Post by Cooper »

My grandfather made the piano you are referring to.
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

John Malcom made the action, and the number suggests that it was made around 1931. I would be interested to hear more from " Cooper".
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
D.J.Smith
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by D.J.Smith »

This post prompted memories. I had one of these, passed down to me by my father in the late fifties after I learned to play it. It was well made, with a good tone. It would have been bought pre-war in Nottingham.

My father also helped finance my piano retailer uncle's purchase of a piano workshop. This company is now Clement Pianos of Nottingham. In view of their relationship, the K&C was probably bought from my uncle so Clements may have some info about them.
Richard Walsh

Post by Richard Walsh »

I also have a Kent and Cooper upright, serial number 26846 stamped on the frame; the frame has a fairly elaborate G&R (or it might be R&G) shield stamped on the frame. Would anyone know anything about it?
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

I was hoping to hear from "Cooper" because my records only show Kent & Cooper as dealers who (like so many others) put their name onto pianos bought in from anonymous London wholesalers. If their numbers were in sequence, all I can say is that it was probably made shortly after 1931, the one mentioned above. If your tuner thinks it is safe to pull out the action, it may be marked on the back with the action makers' name and number, and I may be able to date this. Otherwise, have a look at
http://www.pianohistory.info/datemarks.html
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info