Recording performances from your keyboard to computer

For sharing your recorded performance of grade exam pieces or repertoire

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Remember that connecting your digital/stage piano to the computer directly via MIDI or USB cable will only give you a MIDI signal which basically means that your performance will sound like theme music for a Commodore 64 computer game.

If you want to record your performances to your computer AS THEY SOUND from the keyboard, you are going to have to consider investing in a USB Audio Interface or a software generator where the sounds are actually stored on the computer.

Most guys are coping with videoing their performances and posting links which is fine and is cheaper to do. I should say, the other method mentioned above would provide a better sound quality and will give you more control over editting and arranging performances using more than one layer or sound at a time.
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Recording performances from your keyboard to computer

Post by markymark »

I am in the process of choosing one for myself.

I currently only have a MIDI Interface which needs something like Pianoteq to play a "voice".

I was trying to download the demo version but there seems to be a problem with the download.
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

I have played a short piece using Pianoteq which has been posted as a separate topic.
jean_peter

Post by jean_peter »

I connect my piano earphone output directly to the mic input on the computer, then use the built-in Windows recorder or (better) Audacity which is a freeware. The quality is fully satisfactory.
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Yeah but it depends on how good your sound card is!

Your's seems fine but I know the one in my laptop won't!

Good point though - I had forgotten about that because it didn't suit my computer at the time.
aadison

Post by aadison »

you are going to have to consider investing in a USB Audio Interface or a software generator where the sounds are actually stored on the computer.

Most guys are coping with videoing their performances and posting links which is fine and is cheaper to do.
AlbertBuh

Post by AlbertBuh »

You have the same case and keyboard I have.

Make use of the Gbuttons. Theyre extremely useful.

Edit: you also have the same external HD I have.