For sharing your recorded performance of grade exam pieces or repertoire

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

Phrasemaker
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Debussy Reverie

Post by Phrasemaker »

https://youtu.be/9wb1b4_mm4s

We're still getting to know our new, used Yamaha A1. It seems to be settling quite well and had one basic tuning a month ago. Hopefully we can get it regulated fairly soon. No issues with it, more a case of having it properly set up up so we can make a proper assessment of what else we want to do to get it tailored to our personal preferences. My daughter played for a couple of hours this morning which gave me a chance to have another go at recording the instrument. Not quite got the audio as good as I'd like yet, but overall the piano records well enough.
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Debussy Reverie

Post by chrisw »

Well done to you both. I have played this piece and there is no way I could memorise it. Last time I played it in front of an audience I somehow got lost half way down the first page but kept it going and found a place I could pick it up again. I also make loads of mistakes when I play for other people. I liked the sound level in this video.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Lovely. I admire anyone who can perform in front of an audience. My number of thumbs is directly proportional to the number of people listening.
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by chrisw »

Gill the Piano, do you not play a piece of music after tuning a piano ? If so there must be some owners that are listening to you.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

I do (though not every tuner can play) but rattle 'em off quickly! :oops:
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
Phrasemaker
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Phrasemaker »

Chris, Jill,

Firstly my apologies for taking so long to respond to your responses to this post. I've had a challenging month in many ways, mostly just very, very busy.

Yes, it is quite a tough piece to memorise in a short period of time as there are not many parts which are simply repeats of earlier passages and then add performing it in front of an audience there is plenty of scope to have ones mind go blank. I am not a pianist although I can play enough to be able to compose piano parts which I might want to add to pieces of music that I write and record.

Bethany does feel the pressure if she is performing in front of an audience and has done so a good number of times. Her preparation as is described in her own words is to get each piece "Bomb proof".

This means working with the fingering in such a way that it places her well for each transition. She learns to play most pieces from memory and then she can decide if she wants to have the sheet in front of her when she performs if she is feeling any anxiety about playing it.

Recording an acoustic piano has been a learning curve after being able to simply use the line out on the digital piano and setting the levels. All the moving parts of an acoustic piano generate there own sounds which is great in many ways although the very sudden peaks and resonance of other items in the room can be a challenge if the piece being recorded has very loud passages included.

Many thanks

Tim
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by chrisw »

"Bomb proof" is a very wise approach.

I play for a piano club once a month and like to play one or sometimes two new pieces each time. Therefore I play from music and have a 50% chance of making a reasonable job, at least to my satisfaction.
Pianist685
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Pianist685 »

Congrats to both of you from my side as well. The recorded piano sound is very good, indeed, just perfect, IMO you cannot do any better with amateur equipment. And Bethany is mastering this somewhat tough piece in an amazing manner, completely memorized from the sheet music. She is very talented. I know what I am talking about since I have recorded this piece for the IMSLP.
Only one very minor issue: there are two points where the melody lies in the left hand, from approx. 1:30 to 2:00 and around 2:50. She might wish to play the left hand louder there in order to bring the melody out.

Greetings from Germany.
Constantin
Phrasemaker
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Phrasemaker »

Pianist685

Thank you very much for taking a look at the video and for your feedback which my daughter has read and thanks you for your critique. She agrees with your observations re the LH melody and will make adjustments to the left hand dynamic where the melody occurs at the points you have mentioned when she next prepares and performs this piece.

very much appreciated.

Regards

Tim