Scrine Piano's

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

scriney

Scrine Piano's

Post by scriney » 12 Oct 2011, 05:45

My grandfather & great grand father were once piano manufacturers in London before & during the turn over the 20th century. The factory was destroyed during the Blitz of WW2 and I've only leanrt of this history via my father who was only 14 at the time of the loss.

Would anyone have any information on SCRINE piano forte makers, or know of a piano in existence?

many thanks
Peter Scrine

Bill Kibby

Re: Scrine Piano's

Post by Bill Kibby » 12 Oct 2011, 09:28

I have nothing ready on computer about Scrine, but I will see what I can find on card and paper files. Do you have any more details about where they were in London, or when they began? Please keep in touch with the Piano History Centre in case anything turns up in the future.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email bill@pianohistory.info
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, alter these to pianohistory.info

Bill Kibby

Re: Scrine Pianos

Post by Bill Kibby » 12 Oct 2011, 14:00

1892 Our Post Office London Directory does not list any piano firms named Scrine, although there are other trades with that name.

1911 Not listed in Kelly's Directory.
1914 Not listed in our Music Trades Directory.
1910~ is the estimated date of piano #11723, which bears the name Henry D. Scrine. I tuned this piano for an elderly couple in Essex in 1990. The action was imported from F. Langer, Germany, suggesting a date before the 1914 war.

1928 Our Musique Adresses Universel lists Scrine, London: W.P, Scrine & Co., 89, Dawes Road, Fulham SW. & 4, Gowan Avenue, Munster Road, Fulham SW. Sold pianos and organs, not listed as a maker.

1938 Not listed in our Music Trades Directory.
Piano History Centre
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, alter these to pianohistory.info

daisyblackcat

Post by daisyblackcat » 12 May 2013, 16:37

Hi there
I know this is a long time after your original post, but if you are still out there you may be interested. I have a harmonium which bears the maker's name Henry D Scrine, 48 Dawes Road, London SW.

I have been trying to sell this on eBay, with no takers. Basically we are moving house and the new house has no space for it. If you are still interested in acquiring an instrument with your family name on it, now is your chance!

Best wishes
Carol

Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby » 14 May 2013, 13:31

Scrine certainly sold pianos and organs, but I have no evidence that he made instruments.
Piano History Centre