Waddington & Sons Bremar Desk Piano

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

properdees

Waddington & Sons Bremar Desk Piano

Post by properdees »

I just bought this piano. Waddington & Sons (Bremar Desk Piano). Someone told me they didn't make too many of these. I bought it from a piano tuner that had it for years in his back room. I believe it was made in the late 30s and early 40s but can't tell the exact year. Can anyone tell me where I can read about the history of this piano or of Waddington and Sons pianos?
Thanks,
Bob
pianoman1984

Re: Waddington & Sons Bremar Desk Piano

Post by pianoman1984 »

properdees wrote:I just bought this piano. Waddington & Sons (Bremar Desk Piano). Someone told me they didn't make too many of these. I bought it from a piano tuner that had it for years in his back room. I believe it was made in the late 30s and early 40s but can't tell the exact year. Can anyone tell me where I can read about the history of this piano or of Waddington and Sons pianos?
Thanks,
Bob
I have a Bremar Waddington player piano, that franky said I don't know anything about. I only once saw on a dutch trade site (like ebay) a waddington bremar piano (without a player mechanisme).
I was hoping maybe you have some info about waddington by now that you would like to share with me.
If you have any questions regarding the piano I have feel free to ask, but as said I don't know much about it's history.

for pictures view my website: http://members.home.nl/japberkers/Waddington

Thanks, Niels
properdees

Post by properdees »

I have done some research but there is not a lot on Bremar / Waddington and Sons pianos. Founded in the first half of the 19th century is about all I have found so far. I found a piano exactly like mine for sale and the claim by the seller is that it is one of six made by this company. No information on Pianolas by this company though. If you find more information yourself please let me know.
Thanks
Bill Kibby

Bremar

Post by Bill Kibby »

Bremar is a name used on a variety of Waddington pianos, mostly uprights, some player-pianos. The idea of setting up a production line for 6 pianos is preposterous, it's a typical ploy to make them sound rare, and even if Waddingtons did make only six, no-one is likely to have any way of knowing that, it's a "sales line". Desk-shaped pianos are not that rare, but unusual. I can compile a report based on photos, and add some brief notes on the history of Waddingtons, but I have no knowledge of the model. See
http://www.uk-piano.org/piano-gen/reports.html
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info