Bluthner Grand Dampers

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Steve Christian

Bluthner Grand Dampers

Post by Steve Christian »

Hi, Does anyone have any tips for improving the efficiency of the dampers on a bluthner grand? They're refelted and regulated, but they just aren't snappy enough in cutting off the sound. I've tried "worrying" the felt, adding on lead weights to the wires (which does help a bit and doesn't seem to add to the touch weight, but its a bit agricultural!) I've refelted another bluthner recently and it is much the same.
thanks in advance.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Bluthner Grand Dampers

Post by Barrie Heaton »

I have extended the felt not very elegant but it works. Also, make sure that the ends of the dampers come into contact first just a tad you can experiment by pinching the ends of the flats so they puff up and come into contact before the rest of the damper this kills the harmonics first before stopping the string

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Steve Christian

Post by Steve Christian »

Thanks Barry, had thought they're a bit short when compared to other makes, I'll give it a go. I think it must be something fundamental to the design as I don't have this with bechsteins or steinways.
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

For what it's worth, the pre war Blüthners were made with a damper system that deliberately doesn't cut off the sound as immediately as say, a Steinway. It was part of their pre-war sound.

These days if a pre-war Blüthner is rebuilt in Leipzig, you can request that the modern damping system is installed in it, which gives the piano a more modern character. I haven't known Piano Restorations or Blüthner in the UK to replace the damper system with the modern one, but I've no doubt it can be done on request, since in terms of a rebuild it's not that difficult to do.

Hope that helps.....