Looking after your instrument in the heat

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

levisaunders

Looking after your instrument in the heat

Post by levisaunders »

Hey everyone

I live in Perth Western Australia. I have a few clients looking to store their piano's (one small upright and one grand) for over a year and including summer months. It's no uncommon to reach temperatures above 42 degrees celcius here and i was wondering if there are some ways i can better protect the instruments against heat damage?

Thank you in advance

Levi
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Looking after your instrument in the heat

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Pianos need to be kept in a moderate environment during storage to avoid damage to the wrest plank, wooden and metal components inside the mechanism.
Temperature between 15 - 20 degrees celcius / 24 hours a day
Humidity around 50% - 60% / 24 hours a day.

Purchase a digital hygrometer/ thermometer to monitor, and possibly install air conditioning.

If the air is too dry (below 40%), fit hydroceel tubes with water to maintain moisture during summer - but I think this is a customer priority and cost.

Generally speaking, pianos should not be kept in storage for any length of time.... not a suitable environment full stop. Warn customers is it at their own risk, so you are not liable. Always put grand pianos back onto their feet if long storage to preserve the mechanism flanges and stop them from moving/ warping.
For long storage, pay a piano tech to remove the mechanisms and store in a cooler room.
Contact Rebecca's pianos in Perth who may be able to help. (I have contacts in NSW).
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Hi Levi

you need to protect the room at that level a full climate control system I am sure there are lots of companies in AU who will sell you a reasonable system

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

They could consider lending their pianos out rather than storing them; being in a house would mean the pianos were in a more natural environment. Are the storage facilities not climate controlled?
I play for my own amazement... :piano;