Hello from another oldie.

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

filsgreen
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Hello from another oldie.

Post by filsgreen »

Hi there.

I found this website yesterday, whilst researching a purchase of a digital piano. I spent last night and this morning trawling through all the posts, it has really enthused me to start learning the piano again. I did try about twenty five years ago, but due to various reasons I stopped. Now that I'm in my fifties; I've found that I have the time to dedicate to a burning ambition that I've had since childhood. I'm sure my story is not new, we had an old upright in the family home, but no money to have lessons :-( .

Anyway, I'm just in the process of purchasing a Yamaha CLP470, I would have liked an acoustic piano, but it has to live upstairs. Plus I won't annoy the neighbours. I would like to thank everyone who has offered their advice and knowledge, you really have made a difference to me. When I was thinking about learning, my first question was am I too old? You have certainly answered that one in spades. I've already been in touch with a teacher local to me; I'm waiting for him to call me back.

Thanks again

Phil
dave brum
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Hello from another oldie.

Post by dave brum »

When you have a bad piano lesson or bad practice session it is all too easy to tell yourself you're too old to learn to play the piano. But I've done that before and there really is no age limit to learning. However the secret with adults is not to learn too much too soon, or to attempt to cram your brain with too much. It's not a race, so just spend as much time as you need doing one thing before going onto the next step. And also, don't let your piano teacher push you too hard. Tell him you want to do exams and he might just do that!!! So don't make a decision re. exams for at least a good few months.

I would like to wish you all the best with your quest to learn the piano, Phil - and please do not make the same mistakes I have made and have discussed in detail on these pages - and you will succeed.
The world's unluckiest piano learner, quite possibly.
filsgreen
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by filsgreen »

Hi Dave, thanks for your advice and best wishes. I've got my first lesson booked for next Sunday. It's free because we're just sounding each other out. If I carry on with him, the next is half price. Can't be bad.

Phil
dave brum
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by dave brum »

Don't forget to let us know how you get on with your first lesson, Phil. I like the Clavinovas as well, the Youtuber whose lessons I'm following has one though I don't know which model it is. Maybe I should ask her. My piano's a Yamaha digital but not a Clavinova.
filsgreen
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by filsgreen »

Hi Dave, this Interweb thingy is marvellous for putting the cat amongst the pigeons :) . I was fixed on buying a Yamaha, but after reading other peoples opinions on the Kawai Piano; I'm having second thoughts. Going with a tried and trusted brand like Yamaha appeared the right thing to do, but there are many people out there who say the Kawai CA series are fantastic digital pianos. Bear in mind I have to go to Liverpool and try them out, so that should be fun. Meanwhile I'll carry on reading the forums.
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

filsgreen wrote:Hi Dave, thanks for your advice and best wishes. I've got my first lesson booked for next Sunday. It's free because we're just sounding each other out. If I carry on with him, the next is half price. Can't be bad.

Phil
Hi, Phil. Be honest with your piano teacher. Some teachers, quite frankly, prefer to work towards a goal and aim towards an exam. Others are happy to work at a more relaxed rate and discuss progress to set small targets. If you are clear about what you want to get out of your lessons, it will help let the teacher know as to whether or not they are comfortable to teach in this way. I have to say, few teachers would be pushing you around but let them know what you want and if they can accommodate - this avoids misunderstandings later on.
Nutroast
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Nutroast »

Hello Phil - welcome, good luck and, most importantly, enjoy yourself!
dave brum
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by dave brum »

We went into two music shops in Ranelagh Street in Liverpool when we were there in 2012, opposite the old Lewis's, one was called Dawsons and the other Curley's I think. Plus I remember another sheet music store in North John Street we went into as well, bought summat from there! Now, if the owner of Curleys were to go into partnership with Mr Short.....

There's a bostin piano store in Southport too.
filsgreen
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by filsgreen »

Thanks for the welcome Nutroast. I am going to Dawsons tomorrow Dave. My wife has suggested moving furniture around to accommodate an acoustic piano in the living room, the only problem is the piano will be within a foot of a radiator. I'm sure that would damage an acoustic piano and the radiator can't be switched off.

Phil
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

You're right - it would. Exposing a piano to extreme temperature change will affect tuning and can cause damage to the soundboard.
dave brum
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by dave brum »

I cannot accomodate an acoustic piano either, even though my lounge is around 5m in length the only available spaces are either next to radiators or fires. I would like an antique radiogram as well. Not at all good as Markychops says.
dave brum
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by dave brum »

So Phil, how was your lesson then???
filsgreen
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by filsgreen »

Hi Dave.
Sorry for the late reply I've been on the Piano world forum and forgot about this forum. Apologies also to all members and mods :oops: The first lesson went really, I've had one a week since and I'm really enjoying it. I bought a Kawai CA 65 and it lives in its own cabin now.
Phil
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

So are you going to do classical or jazz or exams or just see what develops?
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
dave brum
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by dave brum »

filsgreen wrote:Hi Dave.
Apologies also to all members and mods :oops:
That'll be me and Gill the Piano then!

Good that you're progressing with the instrument, Phil. I'm back at lessons now, have been since March. My teacher only has 3 more adults besides me, does your teacher have loads of us or only a few? And has the 'E-word' been mentioned yet??
filsgreen
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by filsgreen »

Hi Dave. I'm using the Michael Aaron books, I'm still on book 1. I'm going to do the exams, probably do it towards Xmas with a bit of luck. My teacher only works weekends as he has a 9-5 job in Manchester., I don't think he has many. Here is his website.

Jaybmusic.co.uk.
dave brum
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by dave brum »

Was on Gumtree earlier on and I saw a piano teacher called Jay in Liverpool. He looks like a nice bloke:-

http://www.gumtree.com/p/business-servi ... 1071537756

He's on Youtube...and so am I:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Pianobloke1

I use the Classics To Moderns book 1. It teaches you techniques and patterns unknowingly to you. I play 20 of the 32 pieces contained therein, and my last piece of homework Mabel (my teacher) gave me was from book 2, which I was quite chuffed about. Just wish she'd do some duets with me sometimes, does Jay do that with you? (he should, 'tis very educational)
filsgreen
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by filsgreen »

Yes that's him Dave. I haven't done a duet yet but I'm happy with my progress.

Phil

Ps I was reading your post on sight reading, can't believe you went for a holiday in Southport. :D
dave brum
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by dave brum »

Yes that was a long time ago Phil, June 2012 when I wore a younger man's jockstrap. We stopped in Ormskirk on the way and we really liked the town and the pier. No sign of the sea though. Went to Liverpool 3 times and did a 'Duck tour' that are now defunct. Pity as I enjoyed the splashdown into the Albert Dock.

St.Annes on Sea is lovely, as is Lytham.
nicolini

Post by nicolini »

I find it can be tricky to get a piano teacher who is willing to teach 'older' students in their 50's . There is one in my town but his fees are very high, i think he was trying to put me off.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

If you look on the Incoprorated Society of Musicians website there may be a guide to prices. If s/he is highly qualified/experienced/busy then a higher price is to be expected. Keep trying, won't you? Ask at your local music shop or look at the teachers list on this website. I think there's something called http://www.musicteachers.co.uk or something like that - have a look there too.
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
dave brum
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by dave brum »

The ISM site is how I originally found my piano teacher Mabel. Or there's yell.com or gumtree.com. You're in Warwickshire so it may be an idea to call into Presto Music in Leamington or Musicroom in Stratford and see if there's a notice board that good piano teachers may advertise upon.
Jabarr
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Jabarr »

Hi Phil
Good going,when you are as old as I am you will be able to really swing,Im 83,started at 75.Did not get a teacher, dumb.taught myself even dumber,bought all kind of books,thinking this will make me really good,wrong.It took me way to long to realize that practice is the only way to go.Well not the only way but very necesasary.Im having alot fun playing stuff of my era.Practice the hard stuff and play what you like,Yamaha is my piano of choice.Those old fashioned uprights are just that. Jim