Rameau pianos

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

sirprize
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Rameau pianos

Post by sirprize »

Can anyone cast some light on this please?

Rameau pianos: these have been stocked by Harrods (certainly up to 6 years ago) but I can't find much about them on the web. There seems to be a link with Pleyel. Were/are the two marques made in the same facility in Alès? I know Pleyel is no longer manufacturing under its own name but is Rameau? And did Rameau buy the Pleyel facility/marque?

Inspector Clouseau, this is one for you
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Medium-good quality French pianos with Renner actions in a similar class to Schimmel and Seiler. There are construction similarities with the latter.

Casework designs ranged from the prosaic to the bizarre.
christelle

Re:Pleyel/ Rameau pianos

Post by christelle »

About the manufacturing in Alès (south of France) yes they closed and moved back to Paris. I remember going there when I was young, was amazing to see all those people making them!!!
I have my Great grand ma's Pleyel that she bought in Alès as she was living there. I love it, the tone is great as the touch!!! I 've moved to UK years ago and again abroad and can't afford to bring it back where I live now....sad ....I used to play with my great gd ma, so its hard but I need to sale it and find a great home!!
If anyone can help me to get the right price to sale it that would me great!!!

thanks Christelle
Attachments
piano.jpg
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Rameau pianos

Post by NewAge »

Regarding your Great grand ma's Pleyel, the best person to give you an estimate of its current worth may be your piano tuner, as it's almost impossible to estimate a realistic value without inspecting and trying a piano. One assumes of course that it has been recently tuned (last 6 months to 1 year), because trying to sell a piano as a musical instrument can be difficult if it's not in good tune.
You could also check on internet auction sites to see what price similar pianos have sold for. Is the piano in UK or abroad?
I follow quite regularly the prices of Pleyel, Erard, Rameau and Gaveau pianos on French auction sites, but these pianos appear less frequently in UK.

On your photo, are those hot-air vents in the wall against the l/h side of the piano?
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
adjordan

Post by adjordan »

Following up on the first post, I turn to this forum to know more about the RAMEAU.

I own a Rameau Paris (model 112), prod#55826, which possibly could be produced in 1997. But have a hard time finding technical info on the brand!

Does anyone know what parts entered this piano? Schimmel parts, renner etc..

Kind regards,
Anders
adjordan

Post by adjordan »

Following up on the first post, I turn to this forum to know more about the RAMEAU.

I own a Rameau Paris (model 112), prod#55826, which possibly could be produced in 1997. But have a hard time finding technical info on the brand!

Does anyone know what parts entered this piano? Schimmel parts, renner etc..

Kind regards,
Anders
Attachments
rameau (1 of 1).jpg
Last edited by adjordan on 19 Jun 2013, 10:21, edited 1 time in total.
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

Without looking up the serial number piano more like 1897 ?.
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

There was a new Ramaeu in 1997 which from memory was called the ANTIBES model I think but was a much larger model was a 132cm similar size to the ESTEREL model in a very similar design to your photo with candlestick holders,and side handles etc.
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by NewAge »

joe wrote:There was a new Ramaeu in 1997 which from memory was called the ANTIBES model I think but was a much larger model was a 132cm similar size to the ESTEREL model in a very similar design to your photo with candlestick holders,and side handles etc.
Just for info, I have photos and description on file of the Rameau Antibes model which is shown as a 120-122cm. It incorporates fairly ornate sconces. Similar photo link here:- http://www.pianosesther.be/Pleyel-Histo ... ntibes.jpg

From what I can find and see, the Rameau Esterel is described as the larger model at 132cms.

Many of the Rameau upright models were named after towns or regions of particular beauty: Antibes, Paris, Briancon, Esterel etc.
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

Was relying on memory oppose to goggling the info,Harrods and a few other dealers had a go at trying to sell them and where U.K.supplied by Tricky Dickie Intermusic company,know of a firm who at one point who had the entire range in stock and sent them back due to been almost impossible to set in tune due to horrendous jumpy pins,got their money back and never went near the brand again.
adjordan

Post by adjordan »

joe wrote:Was relying on memory oppose to goggling the info,Harrods and a few other dealers had a go at trying to sell them and where U.K.supplied by Tricky Dickie Intermusic company,know of a firm who at one point who had the entire range in stock and sent them back due to been almost impossible to set in tune due to horrendous jumpy pins,got their money back and never went near the brand again.
Hi Joe,
That sounds pretty bad - however, I must say I cant recognize the problems (at least so far). After trying very good brands (Schimmel, and alike), I must say the Rameau has not dissapointed me yet (on the touch and sound-side). Hence I'm curious on the history of the brand and escially the brand entered the piano in the late 90'ties (1997). All the best, A
Bix_cool

Re:

Post by Bix_cool »

This is my first post on this forum so I hope I manage this reply OK — I was trying to use the code formatting but when I previewed it it seemed to include the html markup in the post so I hope this doesn't all splurge into one lump of text with no paragraph breaks! I'm trying the code bit right at the end to see if the photo of the Rameau Aurora will appear. I lost my sight 9 years ago so am slowly trying to re-learn all the music I used to play.

I wanted to share a photo in reply to this thread about Rameau pianos. In 1990 as a sixth form student in Harrogate I had a Saturday job at Tapp Music, who I would not be at all surprised to learn that some / many of you bought piano sheet music from! Mr Tapp had a black Rameau piano in his showroom that was my misfortune to have to dust each week, because it was a magnet for dust with its shiney black finish! Mr Tapp loved the depth of its bass, though I can't remember what he said about how it was strung that made it s sound so resonant.

I fell in love with a picture of a piano in the Rameau flyer. The Rameau Aurora upright, which had a top that opened like a Lamborghini's gullwing car doors and the most wonderful bright red finish and industrial-looking black mesh music holder! Even now, 25 years since that Saturday job and 9 years since losing my sight, I can still vividly picture that sexy piano!

Hopefully this is where my photo gets inserted, but here's a link to it in my DropBox public folder in case it doesn't make it into this post! https://is.gd/joUq95

Giles

Code: Select all

[img]https://is.gd/joUq95[/img]
PianoGuy wrote:Medium-good quality French pianos with Renner actions in a similar class to Schimmel and Seiler. There are construction similarities with the latter.

Casework designs ranged from the prosaic to the bizarre.
[/code]