Tempo question

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

SirTK
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Tempo question

Post by SirTK »

A piece I'm learning says "Slowly minim=69" which doesn't seem at all slow to me, in fact my metronome rates it as "allegro".

I reckon it should be moderato at about 58. Any opinions - it's White Cliffs of Dover.

It's all a bit confusing for those of us who haven't much idea to start with :roll:

Terry
Gill the Piano

Re: Tempo question

Post by Gill the Piano »

I agree with you more than the metronome mark you describe. My rule of thumb is if the composer him/herself didn't put the metronome mark in, it's every man for himself. If they DID put it in, then I follow the Associated Board comment 'as fast as you can, as slow as you must'!
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Terry,

69 per minim is a bit on the quick side yes.... I usually play this piece at around 52 bpm, especially if accompanying to Vera Lynn !!!.... and maybe slower again.

Depending on the time signature, I've seen some versions in 2/2 time, (normally 4/4) so the above metronome marking would be "according" to the lower number in the time signature - hence a minim beat (alla breve).

My version is in E flat major (3 flats) .... and in 4/4 time, but no metronome marking - however, your marking is probably justed edited in - so just ignore it.

Your metronome won't know if its a minim beat or not, so it might "think" its a crotchet beat (ie about 138 bpm on your music).... so Allegro matches the numbers, but not the 'beat' .... if you get my drift?

I've quickly sketched on my PC a beginner's version.... (its in C major) - does it look similar to this? .... that is the time signature and minim = ?

(2/2 time is also shown as a capital letter 'C' with a line through it - means the same as 2/2)

See below & hope that helps....
Extract
Extract

Colin
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
SirTK
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by SirTK »

Agreed Colin!

My first stop was one of the many Vera versions on Youtube - she averaged about 44 though it was really hard to time it with the "Cadence BPM Tapper" as she seemed to be all over the place. I tried to blot out the voice and tap to the band but clearly they were adjusting to her singing as she went along.

My version is in 2/2 and yes, the tempo mark is as per your sketch. I prefer to play to the crochets initially, so set 138 and no way could I keep up. Must be some crazy zydeco version.

Wouldn't you think, though, that the book would be more accurate, particularly as it's aimed at beginners/poor players/musical numbskulls (delete as appropriate). It's grade 2 for heaven's sake, in the what Else Can I Play series.

Terry
gizzy
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by gizzy »

Often, though, a slow beat is harder to keep steady than a fast one.