Learning the piano with dyspraxia

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

robert7111a

Learning the piano with dyspraxia

Post by robert7111a »

Good afternoon, this is my first post so hope I have posted in the right section

I am an adult with traits of ADD and dyspraxia. I have tried learning piano for many years without much progression. I can play music with parallel motion but if each hand has to play something different - then I just can't seem to coordinate the movements.

The ADD element is not relevant here as I can stay VERY focused on what I'm trying to play

If it's of any relevance, I have a digital instrument with six voices and I prefer playing the piano voice on full chorus (I have an issue with it sounding dull and flat...aka the dyspraxia element)

Does anyone have any advice/suggestions?

robert7111a
London
Gill the Piano

Re: Learning the piano with dyspraxia

Post by Gill the Piano »

Do you want to play classical music, specifically? If not, perhaps you could find someone who would teach you to play by ear. This would remove the anxiety about following the music and the eye realising that the hands are going in different directions. How far did you get when you learned before - did you do any exams, for instance? There are a couple of methods which teach using colours rather than note names initially, but you end up reading ordinary black & white music eventually. I'm not a teacher, and there are several good teachers who come on this forum with wide teaching experience who will probably be of more use than me!
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
robert7111a

Post by robert7111a »

Um...I don't have an issue reading music...

My problem is coordinating hands when playing different parts/melodies.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

No, i realised you weren't dyslexic, I just wondered if removing the reading element from the process would leave you with less to worry about, and with an extra bit of brain to concentrate on the hands. You could look for Gizzy on this forum and send her a PM, as she's a very experienced teacher.
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
robert7111a

Post by robert7111a »

I cannot play without reading the music. My short term memory is really bad so playing by ear alone is not an option.