Can Down's symdrome child learn to play piano?

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

Can Down's symdrome child learn to play piano?

Post by 969904 »

I have a child who has down's. She likes to play the piano special when her older sister(she is 8.) play it. She is 5 years old. I know it will be very very difficult for her. If she like it I will find a teacher for her. Also I have no idea who will teach her?
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

I've taught a Down's lad in a very rudimentary fashion; we had different coloured stickers on the keys, and I simply drew coloured blobs on a page (eg, Jingle Bells was red red red, red red red, red blue green pink red). Matthew had a terrific memory and was an excellent mimic, so once I'd demonstrated the rhythm he was away!
You can also ask the music therapist if your daughter is at a special school, or ask her teacher what her particular strengths are - which is the way I found out that Matthew was a good mimic so capitalised on that aspect of the lessons. I also found out he liked colouring and therefore drew little pictures for him to colour in. We never got as far as hands together, but he had a lot of fun!
Ask at the school if the music teacher would give her lessons, or if s/he can recommend someone. Failing that, ask your other daughter's teacher if she could spare ten minutes or so to let her have a go.
Good luck! :D

Thank You very much!Do I need to change a tutor for older da

Post by 969904 »

Thank you very much!
Also I have bit worry about my older daughter. She is learning to play piano. Her tutor who turns and sells piano. I bought a used piano from other one. I asked him to turn the piano. He told me my piano is not good for my daughter's learning. He want me to buy a piano from him. The piano he want to sell is £5000. I partexchange the old to a new piano for my daughter is about £2000. He mansions about the piano everytime when my daughter have a lesson. I found he like a business man more than a teacher. Do you think I need to change a tutor for my older daughter?
leongmingyu

Re: Thank You very much!Do I need to change a tutor for olde

Post by leongmingyu »

969904 wrote:Thank you very much!
Also I have bit worry about my older daughter. She is learning to play piano. Her tutor who turns and sells piano. I bought a used piano from other one. I asked him to turn the piano. He told me my piano is not good for my daughter's learning. He want me to buy a piano from him. The piano he want to sell is £5000. I partexchange the old to a new piano for my daughter is about £2000. He mansions about the piano everytime when my daughter have a lesson. I found he like a business man more than a teacher. Do you think I need to change a tutor for my older daughter?
Why does he think the current used piano is unsuitable? Are his reasons sound? How is your daughter doing under his tutelage?

He should also be understanding if you express to him clearly what your priorities are.