Novice Seeking Guidance

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

Requiescat

Novice Seeking Guidance

Post by Requiescat »

Hi,
I am only just beginning my journey and in keeping with a desire to get off to the strongest possible start, I would like to hear from more experienced people. My first issue is that of finger positions. I am not familiar with finger positions for chords or scales, or isolated melodies. For instance, when looking at sheetusic for guitar I already can see immediately which finger will begin and how I will proceed to it's conclusion. Where may I learn this? I have at present discovered a book for beginners that I plan to order:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Piano-Handb ... 584&sr=8-1

I have had many disappointments in the past with guitar books and am always hesitant in anything I happen upon now. Would this book be sufficient for a learner is developing proper finger movement and placement? Lastly, do you know of any sites that best serve to educate the learner on proper technique?

I think I'll leave this here for now. Thankyou for your time, and as always, any help very much appreciated.

Regards,
Requiescat
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Novice Seeking Guidance

Post by markymark »

Don't know anything about this book but I did have a look at the reviews. They range from 3-5 star ratings. Negative comments highlight the difficulty of the exercises contained in them.

Finger movement and placing have very close connections with techniques you develop when playing scales. Take Bach for example. Many of his pieces are based on scales and sometimes broken chords with other notes added in. I've found that when playing any of Bach's works that fingering, bridging and finger cross-overs/unders developed from scales, broken chords, etc tend to be the most useful experience.

There are other exercises such as those developed by Hanon (there are others) which develop finger strength, touch to an extent and basic dexterity. Whether or not this book aims to do the same... I don't have the answer.
Requiescat

Post by Requiescat »

Interesting, I just got my copy of the two Hanon books. I find the scale and arpeggio section in particular quite useful! I noted some of the criticism of the book but I definitely value this purchase.

Another book I got hold of is Leschetizky's Fundamental Principles of Piano Technique. I haven't had much tie to go through it so I'll reserve judgement till a later date.
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Learning systematic fingering on the piano can take years to master. I remember several of my piano teachers starting a new piece with me, and the first lesson was almost all taken up by the teacher going through the fingering with me - and making any changes etc.

Most pieces of music are built around scale/ arpeggio and broken chord patterns.... one you learn the basic....

1. Next door notes, use next door fingers
2. Miss a note, miss a finger
3. Avoid your thumb on a black note (for now)
4. Learn the same fingering every time and stick to it.

If you buy the Grade 1 ABRSM scales book, it goes through the basic major & minor scales, and broken chords. Start with one octave, then 2 octaves - each hand separate. Thumb turns must also be smooth with a slight turn of the wrist - keeping elbows in.

May be best to book a few lessons with a teacher.... books don't put right mistakes, and nor do they correct bad habits/ poor legato etc.

Hope that helps :)
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen